1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help setting up new HD DVR!!

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Teerump, Jan 14, 2010.

1. Teerump

Teerump Cool Member

Dec 14, 2009
    Ok.. I'm trying to set up the new HD DVR receiver I received in the mail yesterday... to replace the current HD DVR I have. this may be a stupid quesiton, but during the set up it ask what kind of dish do I have? Well, there are like 18 choices!! Looking at my dish, it's not round, oval, 3 LNB's.

The choices have for example: 3-LNB (18"x20") & 95degrees, or the same but 72.5 degrees, Slimline 3, Slimline 5, 3-LNB (18"x20"), 3 LNB & 72.5degrees and 95 degrees.

How do I know which one to select?

2. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Well, I guess the first question is how long have you had it, and how do you know how many LNBs you have?

If the dish is older than 4 years, it's the 3-LNB. If it looks like the one in our logo, with a very wide head, that's the Slimline-5. If it's the same but with a fairly small head, it's the Slimline-3.

I am not 100% sure but I really doubt that you need an "extra" satellite for your locals in Indianapolis, so ignore any choices that say "+95°" or "+72.5°." The possibilities are 3LNB, Slimline-3 and Slimline-5. If you're expecting to get HD channels, the 3LNB is also probably the wrong choice.

3. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    In short, try Slimline 5 first and if that gives you troubles, try Slimline 3.

4. Teerump

Teerump Cool Member

Dec 14, 2009
    Thanks... it's slimline 5..... I hooked up the old one again and went into the system info menu and it was in there... duh.. should have done that in the first place!

Thanks anyways!