1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help; Signal Dropping

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by rstokas, Oct 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rstokas

rstokas AllStar

Oct 21, 2005
    Please help me. I have had 4 HR20's and had techs come out 4 times. The problem is still there and very hard to detect. Directv escelated the problem but I am not sure how it will get fixed as the local installer had no clue what was wrong.

Here is the problem:
    1. I have 3 receivers, 2 HR20-700 and 1 old Samsung HD
    2. Both the Sammy and 1 of the HR20-700 work great with signals all in the 90's
    3. The one receiver is always having problems and I am on my 4th one. What happens is the signal on one of the tuners goes out like once a day and a simple reset fixes the problem. This problem did not occur until they put up a Slimline and took down my AT9 because the 103 went bad.
    4. They ran dummy wires and ran the wire from where the good receivers were and the problem was still there
    5. the hard part is that this only happens once a day and a reboot fixes it. So when they come everything is in the 90s. Something must not be grounded or is shorting out. Its very wierd. Maybe this is why the 103 went bad on all boxes before.

Bottom line is that no one can figure it out. I keep blew the tuner in 3 receivers with this problem so keep putting in a new receiver makes the problem worse. When I switch signal 1 with signal 2, signal 1 is still out, so I doubt its the feed.

could it be bad grounding, could it be the multiswitch. No one knows.

2. rdiedrich

rdiedrich Legend

Sep 10, 2007
    Definitely check for ground. Without a good ground what seems to happen is that any stray voltages in the system will build up and either knock out the sat signal either long term or as a short glitch. Sometimes the affected receiver will also reboot. If another tech is coming out have them change the things that have not been changed, such as the multiswitch, wallplate (trust me they can go bad), things of this nature.

If you have any other questions feel free...

Randy

3. Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    You might try asking for Case Management. They are the new group to work on issues like this.

I believe you can ask for them at the first CSR or at the IVR.

Grounding sounds like a very possible type issue here. I'd ensure the dish is grounded, the coax is grounded at the entry of the house, the phone line is grounded (rarely a problem, phone company usually gets that right), the multiswitch is grounded, and the outlet that the HR20 is plugged into is properly wired.

Any chance you have a Navy base firing up their big radar once a day? :)

Good luck,
    Tom

4. Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    I changed the topic of your thread.. So other may be incline to help you.
    (Even though you are from my home town).

What happens if you take the "problemed" receiver... and put it in the same spot as the one that has had no problems?

Based on what you have posted here.. it sounds like something is wrong with the wiring.

5. rstokas

rstokas AllStar

Oct 21, 2005
    Sorry Earl, just know you are smart with this and are a Chicago guy!. I tried that and it did not happen. So it must be the wiring, multiswitch or maybe that those lines are not grounded? sounds like others are having this tuner problem to. Directv escelated this to their new customer support group so I guess a senior tech from Directsat is coming Thurs. but when they come they will see signals in the 90's. What do I tell them to check as they will say all is fine.

6. rstokas

rstokas AllStar

Oct 21, 2005
    yes it is case mgmt i called. how do you ground all these things. I think they grounded the dish and thats all. Also what is a wallplate? Is there anyone I could hire in Chicago Earl that is on top of things like this as I am not that good with this.

this only happens on one tuner. wierd.

7. rdiedrich

rdiedrich Legend

Sep 10, 2007
    A wallplate is the plate on the wall where the wiring connects from inside the wall to the outside patch cables going to the receiver.

Randy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.