1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help! Switch account w/o having to return HR20 & HR15?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by roykeane, May 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. roykeane

roykeane Cool Member

Aug 23, 2006
    Just moved from my parents house. I lived downstairs and had a hr15 and hr20. They too have a hr15 and hr20 that they bought at bestbuy for themselves upstairs. Bill was in my name. I moved and have D* installed at my new house. As of now both houses are receiving D* and they still show my service address as my old house. Amazingly, I only have one bill for both houses but I do want to clear things up.

Question: How do I switch service at my old house (i.e. my dad becomes "new" customer) WITHOUT them having to return "leased" boxes which were technically leased by me even though they bought them. I want to avoid them having to pay for the boxes all over again.

Thanks for any suggestions.

2. boba

boba Hall Of Fame

May 23, 2003
    Call 1-800-531-5000 and talk to a CSR if they can't straighten out the account ask for retention they will be your last resort. What you want to do may not be possible within their system. You want to create 2 accounts out of one. The only way may be to return equipment and then resubscribe, it depends on how much flexibility they are allowed within the system.

3. joed32

joed32 Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2006
    I think they will be happy to be gaining a second account and will go out of their way to help you. I agree with boba that when you call you should ask for retention they would know better how to do it than a CSR.

4. roykeane

roykeane Cool Member

Aug 23, 2006
    Thanks guys. Will try retention.

5. boba

boba Hall Of Fame

May 23, 2003
    Let us know the results please.:)

6. roykeane

roykeane Cool Member

Aug 23, 2006
    Status as of now is: I spoke to retention - they agreed to transfer both recievers to my parents and will set them up with new account. No referral fee to me though.

After my dad calls in tonight, I'll let you know if it all goes through. So far, so good. Thanks!

7. SDizzle

SDizzle Hall Of Fame

Jan 1, 2007
    Roseville, CA
    It makes sense for D* to do this. After all, they do not have to give any "free" receiver out, and take in more used receivers by making your parents return their 2 DVRs...........

With D*, there is ALWAYS a way, it just depends on the CSR roulette........you fellin' lucky today????:lol: :lol:

8. DishCSR

DishCSR Godfather

Jan 14, 2004

I would seriously think again about this,, b/c if all the receivers are leased, this is not allowed, i don't care who you talked to.. retention isn't always right about what they tell customers

9. roykeane

roykeane Cool Member

Aug 23, 2006
    Well, it worked out. Retention agreed to transfer receivers with no additional payment. New account has been set up, and my account has been corrected.

It was the right thing do, otherwise parents would have had to pay for same receiver twice.

Thanks for the help guys.

10. bdowell

bdowell Icon

Mar 4, 2003
    Interesting situation and though it sounds like it worked out, please come back later to update everyone so we'll all know for sure.

Also, btw, thanks for doing the right thing and setting up the extra account rather than cheating by having systems in more than one location all on the same account. Helps to keep the bills cheaper for the rest of us honest folks :)

11. surfbird

surfbird Legend

Sep 9, 2006
    the only thing different I would have done would have been ask & determine more info.. like you said the recievers were owned & acct is in your name.. Why did you not set up a movers connection w/your original acct, take in the great offer of new equpment that came w/may & june's mc & not had to go the route you did?? It seems you ran a mile to accomplish something that the movers connection is there for in the first place?? did I miss something?

if the recievers where owned in the first place acdt team is the one that switchs from lease to own in the first place.. so they would have to determine yes or no due to circumstances..

if the equpment was in dad's name it would have needed to be deactvd. & set up on the other acct. (meaning u had an account already) new accts cannot be set up completely using old or used equpmnt. then in order for this person to use it he would have had to have new cards because unless both accounts were in the same name can a reciever be switched w/o replacing the cards.

u cannot set up a new acct completely w/old equipment. it could have been a new cust w at least 1 reciever then the other equipmnt could be added.. but 2 different scenerios of interest since I don't know the real situation.

but if you had your own acct & the reciever were on dad's acct, it would have been deactv, new ac ordered then transferred info by the acdt team & document by acdt whether the irds were owned then.
    "Bill was in my name. I moved and have D* installed at my new house. As of now both houses are receiving D* and they still show my service address as my old house. Amazingly, I only have one bill for both houses but I do want to clear things up."

12. bigmurphler

bigmurphler Mentor

May 19, 2007
    So... if I have a camp site and set up a dish myself can I just take one of my receivers there or will DirecTV make me start a new account for that specific dish? Would my wife be able to watch tv at home while I was at the camp site?

13. Skip Towne

Skip Towne Godfather

Dec 20, 2003
    Yes, you can take a receiver from home to a campsite. It will not affect your wife's home viewing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.