1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help taking apart Sony laptop

Discussion in 'Tech Talk - Gadgets, Gizmos and Technology' started by cableguy902, Feb 7, 2011.

1. cableguy902

cableguy902 Mentor

Jan 10, 2011
    Ok here is the deal. Laptop fell on the floor and those USB ports where right at the point of the impact. Result - they are crooked but still work fine. Unfortunately headphone jack (the black one on the picture) does not work anymore. I guess it got jammed inside by those USB ports. It's a big deal for me because I use it to run sound and video through my big screen.
    My question - is it a good idea to take apart the thing and poke around a bit? Thanks for any help. I just dont want to make any more damage by trying to fix it

Attached Files:

2. Kevin F

Kevin F Hall Of Fame

May 9, 2010
    A solder joint eas probably damaged. How good are you with a soldering iron? Anotber way to fix this is to use a usb sound card.

3. cableguy902

cableguy902 Mentor

Jan 10, 2011
    Soldering iron.... I did some when I was a kid. Wasn't too hard. Now how do I take this thing apart?

How much is the usb sound card and how good would the sound quality be? I love taking thing apart but I rather not risk my only computer that otherwise works just great.

4. Kevin F

Kevin F Hall Of Fame

May 9, 2010
    A usb sound card isn't too expensive. Maybe $20 om amazon. They are usually very good quality from the ones I've used at the apple store, and my brother owns one.

5. cableguy902

cableguy902 Mentor

Jan 10, 2011
    Thanks Kevin

6. cableguy902

cableguy902 Mentor

Jan 10, 2011
    Amazon also has USB hubs with 4 to 10 USB port extensions that also include headphone jack. Which is great for my laptop, since I only have 3 USB ports and 2 are always used up by keyboard and mouse. I probably will go with one of those usb hubs, I assume sound quality should be at least as good as the original headphone jack. Or should I buy dedicated sound adapter?

7. Kevin F

Kevin F Hall Of Fame

May 9, 2010
    I think that will work just fine. And usb ports are an added bonus.