1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

HELP w/ ViP722 USB HD

Discussion in 'ViP612/622/722/722K DVR Support Forum' started by T-Rex, Mar 3, 2008.

1. Mar 3, 2008 #1 of 10
    T-Rex

T-Rex Cool Member

Jan 16, 2008
    I installed an external hard drive and have transfered programming; however every time I want to watch something stored, I have to manually reboot (power off and back on with the front panel switch) the 722. Every time I go to "Manage USB Device" no titles appear in the list, until I restart the 722 then the titles appear. The next time I want to watch something stored, in order to see the title I always have to power down and back up the 722 which is a big pain.
    Can anyone help? Thanks in advance.

2. Mar 3, 2008 #2 of 10
    HobbyTalk

HobbyTalk Hall Of Fame

Jul 14, 2007
    What brand and model of drive is it?

3. Mar 3, 2008 #3 of 10
    Ron Barry

Ron Barry 622 Tips & Trick Keeper DBSTalk Club

Dec 10, 2002
    Sounds like you are running into the drive sleeping and not awaking issue. Would help if you gave the brand and model number has HobbyTalk posted. Also search on EHD in this forum or look at the tips and tricks sticky and you will find a lot of threads discussing EHD issues people are running into. Also suggest searching this forum for you make and model and that also will provide clues to a solution to your issue.

Ohhh.. and Welcome to DBSTalk!! hope you find the site useful.

4. Mar 3, 2008 #4 of 10
    RASCAL01

RASCAL01 Godfather

Aug 1, 2006
    I had the same problem but with the last update 4.49 it is working perfectly without doing a soft reset. I am using the Seagage drive.

5. Mar 3, 2008 #5 of 10
    SkipperTW

SkipperTW Mentor

Jan 23, 2008
    I also have this issue... Thought it was corrected with the latest update but still happens from time to time...

I use my External HD only a few times a week so it's not a big deal to me (But just for future ref. You really only need to power cycle the HDD, not the 622...)

Hope this helps...

6. Mar 3, 2008 #6 of 10
    T-Rex

T-Rex Cool Member

Jan 16, 2008
    It is a Seagate 750 GB FreeAgent Pro.
    Thanks again for all replies. I'll keep searching for a solution. I see that others have had similar problems, but I haven't found any solutions yet. If I find one, I will post it here for the benefit of others. Tech support has not been helpful.

7. Feb 3, 2009 #7 of 10
    snackeycakes

snackeycakes New Member

Feb 3, 2009
    Not sure if you found a fix, but the Seagate external usb drives are set to power down without use by default. There is a utility that comes with the drive that will allow you to change the settings to "not power down". This may help you.

8. Feb 3, 2009 #8 of 10
    Cold Irons

Cold Irons AllStar

Dec 7, 2005
    I'm using a Seagate & had to download & run the utility that turns off the sleep timer. Works fine now.

9. plumbstar

plumbstar Cool Member

May 11, 2004
    How do you use the utility if the drive is connected to the 721?

10. ZBoomer

ZBoomer Icon

Feb 21, 2008
    Worse case scenario you don't need to reboot the receiver, just unplug/plug the power to the EHD itself; when it comes back online the receiver will see it and it will work fine. 99% bet the problem is the drive going to sleep like some suggested.

Interesingly, I have Maxtor EHD's, and even when they go to sleep the receiver wakes them up fine, and they work. Not sure why this isn't the case for all drives, but it's not.

I originally bought a Seagate FreeAgent due to my good experiences with Seagate drives, but it was only trouble on my DVR. Half the time I plugged it in it wouldn't recognize it properly, and it just generally didn't work very well. The Maxtor drives work flawlessly, and were cheaper, so I have a few of those now.

I think you're supposed to attach the drive to a PC first, before you use it on the DVR, to deactivate the sleep feature.