1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with a HR24-500 Needed

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by hhhbigfan, Sep 7, 2010.

1. hhhbigfan

hhhbigfan New Member

Sep 7, 2010
    I recently got a HD DVR HR24-500 for my upstairs. All of my cables from my satellite dish come in downstairs. The installer told me that the only way I could record 2 shows at once is it drill a new hole in my wall upstairs and fish a wire to the downstairs. Is this really the only to get my DVR to record two shows at once?

It seems like there should be an easier way. I don't know a lot about this stuff, so if anybody knows of a way that it can be done without fishing a wire down there it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

2. Greg Alsobrook

Greg Alsobrook Lifetime Achiever

Apr 1, 2007
  3. NR4P

NR4P Dad

Jan 15, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    First of all, :welcome_s to dbstalk.

Greg's point is right on but you said the Installer told you?
    If you had an installer there to do the install, they are supposed to run all the necessary cables to make full use of that DVR. In other words, run two lines if its a non-SWM system. I'd call Directv back and tell them the installer didn't enable you to watch/record 2 shows at a time as the DVR is supposed to.

4. hhhbigfan

hhhbigfan New Member

Sep 7, 2010
    Yeah he told me that since it had to be fished downstairs through the wall that it was a totally different install and that it would cost me extra.

Anybody know where I can find one of those SWM's for one receiver? I don't think I need one with 8 ports.

5. NR4P

NR4P Dad

Jan 15, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    Ah, an interior wall, they usually get $75 for that. But if one wire was run by the installer, then wondering why two werent run at the same time?

Easiest thing is to get a SWM8. The 8 isnt 8 ports, its up to 8 tuners. A DVR uses 2 of the 8.
    solidsignal sells them new and you can probably find them used at an auction site, sometimes new. Be sure it comes with its own Power Supply!

Alternative is to mess with the LNB at the Dish. The SWM8 is by far easier.