1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Help with choices

Discussion in 'Hopper System Support Forum' started by klyon, Jun 27, 2014.

1. klyon

klyon Cool Member

Jan 25, 2003
    Southeast, NY
    I must be getting old because this stuff used to come easy to me. While the Dish road is sometimes bumpy, I've stuck with it. With the wireless Joey it solves a long time problem I've had and that is how to get HD signal in a room with difficult connectivity

I currently have 2 722's (722 w/sling & 722K) used as follows.

722k dedicated to the living room TV
    722 is in the master bedroom with sling used for that TV (occasional evening only) and the coax feeds 1 other room upstairs. Sling is not used often but it's on that receiver as to not interfere with the main 722K

So to upgrade with Hopper and Joey's. I think that I would really like 1 Hopper with Sling, and 2 wireless Joey's. I think that would let me do what I want to do. The upstairs bedroom receiver is not used often. My chat with Dish, he thought I might want 2 hoppers? What does that buy me? Do the joey's talk to BOTH hoppers, not sure I need 2 of them.

The goal is if possible reduce my monthly bill, wonder if that is possible?

2. klyon

klyon Cool Member

Jan 25, 2003
    Southeast, NY
    Oh... and a follow up question. Can I move the EHD from my 722K to the Hopper to keep my recordings?

3. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Doctor Whom Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    The EHD will work with your Hopper and existing recordings should be fine. There have been some bugs, but usually those have been bugs when people tried to transfer a recording from the EHD to a Hopper and not for just playback.

A Hopper has 3 SAT tuners, and can also have 1 OTA tuner through a USB add-on. You can use 1 of those SAT tuners for ABC/CBS/FOX/NBC LiLs so you have a lot of flexibility to watch and record multiple simultaneous channels.

With your two 722 receivers you currently have a total of 4 SAT tuners and up to 3 OTA tuners (assuming you have the OTA module in the 722K).

So it depends on how you look at it... technically you will be losing a couple of OTA tuners (which you may not be using anyway) and definitely losing 1 SAT tuner... but IF you watch a lot of your LiLs then you have the functionality of 2 non-LiL channels + 4 LiL channels simultaneously. Worst case you would be down a SAT tuner, best case you come out ahead.

The only way to be sure you are ahead... would be having 2 Hoppers. Each Hopper can see each other's recordings and you would have 6 SAT tuners that way. The Joeys can see either Hopper (only link to one Hopper at a time).

Hopefully that info helps. If you are looking to save money, you are right to use 1 Hopper and multiple Joeys since Joeys are cheaper... but if you need the extra tuners, then 2 Hoppers is the way to go.

4. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    If tuners are important, a second Hopper or a Super Joey should be considered. If you don't watch a lot of live TV, I wouldn't worry about it but suggest that you put your network recordings at a higher priority so they don't get aced out by something that will show four times in the next seven days.

5. klyon

klyon Cool Member

Jan 25, 2003
    Southeast, NY
    Thank you for the feedback. I don't think that the extra tuners are important to me, just have to update one of my old TV's and I'll get my Hopper.

6. zerdian1

zerdian1 New Member

Jun 25, 2014
    south florida
    Having two Hoppers would be my preferred choice.
    I used both Hoppers in home with 3 TVs and in home with 5 TVs.
    The Hopper costs $12/mo and the Joey costs $7/mo.
    I do not have a super Joey.