1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Help with GenieGo OOH and Cablevision OOL

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by LI-SVT, Feb 18, 2014.

1. LI-SVT

LI-SVT Icon

May 18, 2006
    Hi all,

I am having trouble getting the GenieGo OOH to work with Cablevisons OOL. My chain of equipment is as follows:

Motorola Modem>Ooma Teleo>Airport Extreme>Netgear switch>GenieGo

My Directv equipment is installed by the book. I have an HR44 and two HR21s.

In home streaming and downloading work fine.

No mater what I do with the Airport Extreme portforwarding I can not get OOH to work.

Do I need to set anything in the Motorola modem?

2. dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
    You may have to set up forwarding or put the modem in 'Bridge' or transparent mode. Ooma may also complicate the issue and need something similar. Every device in the chain (except a switch) needs to handle the forwarding properly of the packets don't make it.

Some people have had better luck putting the GenieGo on the router rather than behind the switch.

You may have to switch positions of the Ooma and also forward the Voip packets to its IP.

Edit: I'd remove Ooma first to see if that's blocking GG. Google 'Can I port forward with Ooma'.

3. LI-SVT

LI-SVT Icon

May 18, 2006
    Thanks Dennis,

My plan for tonight is to move the GG and connect it directly to the router. Also remove the Ooma temporarily.

Will let you know how it goes.

4. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    Yeah;

Reading through many of the discussion threads on the OOMA forum, I notice most do not prefer the inline ethernet connection option for the Telo unit between a cable modem and router in favor of a connection to the router.

I plan on buying an OOMA Telo myself sometime next month and intend to hook it to the router, but through powerline adapters I have lying around here which should suffice as I'm told the Telo is a low bandwidth device.

Cut the cord last month with traditional wireline phone service after having it for as long as I can remember for cell phones, but do miss the superior call sound quality of my traditional wireline telephone service. Hoping the OOMA Telo with its advertised "HD" voice call quality service feature will be a good replacement in this area.

5. LI-SVT

LI-SVT Icon

May 18, 2006
    Funny thing about the Teleo, I could'nt get it to work right when I had it behind my router. When I changed it to their preffered connection style, between the modem and router, it worked fine.

As far as voice quality, it is good. Not as good as the Voip from my cable company though. Can't beat the price!

6. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    Yea ... I considered that before cutting the cord as my sister has VoIP digital phone service with our ISP, TWC Hi Speed (which will soon be Comcast I guess).

It's outstanding call quality, and I can't tell the difference between it and wireline. But it's $29.99 + tax and other regulatory fees per month, making it almost the same cost as my former wireline (AT&T) again which fluctuated between $40-$50/per.

7. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Off topic. what is the difference between the Ooma and a Magic Jack (beside the price, of course!)

8. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Yeah, there was a thread not too long ago here with an ooma device and the OP mentioned that forwarding the GG port was the solution

9. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    magicJack fetches a low monthly fee and you pay for Ooma on the front end. If you aren't sure whether you're ready/equipped for VOIP, the magicJack setup is a much smaller initial investment ($49.95 includes six months of their brand of service).

Ignoring the differences in service, magicJack is about the same price as Ooma if you can keep your Ooma Telo going for 10-11 years. If you subscribe to the Ooma extended warranty at $40/year, you'll probably never catch up money-wise.

10. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    So since it is a VoIP device, there is a firewall built into the OOMA you can access through a web utility where you can forward ports on for the inline ethernet hookup option?

11. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Don't confuse firewalls with routing. Firewalls are a very special case of routing (much as a circle is a very special case of a regular polygon).

If I'm not mistaken, the Ooma Telo automatically forwards any ports that it doesn't use for its own purposes to your router. From there, you have to forward them again to the nomad.

12. LI-SVT

LI-SVT Icon

May 18, 2006
    Solution:

I had to forwrd the GG ports in the Oom device to the IP address of the router. The Ooma device was simple to configure for this.

13. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Awesome. Thanks for the update.

14. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    IOW, the Geniego's port numbers for OOH streaming must forwarded in the OOMA's firewall to the IP address assigned to the router which is the WAN one?

15. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    Yes, I think I understand the basic differences between routing and a firewall;

Firewalls don't do things like NAT or PAT and act as gateways to different networks, which really fall in the realm of routing. But essentially only allow two-way data communications to traverse them when initiated from hosts located inside the firewall. Not outside of it unless specific ports have been opened in it to an outside host (remote computer or application) for that purpose.

16. LI-SVT

LI-SVT Icon

May 18, 2006
    Yes. It turns out the Teleo has routing capability. So I limited the DHCP range to one address. That one address is my router. I then forwarded the GG ports in the Teleo to the IP of my router. I could not find IP reservations in the Teleo, that is why I set a limited range.

Sorry so long in getting back to you.
    Thanks everyone for helping me.