1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help With HD

Discussion in 'DISH™ High Definition Discussion' started by KWarner, Sep 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KWarner

KWarner Cool Member

Apr 3, 2005
    I only post here when I have questions, but I have NEVER failed to have them answered. So here goes: I'm getting a Hitachi HD set for Christmas. I have read the current promos that Dish has. I would like to get the $49 (after rebate) 622 DVR. Does anyone see this promotion going away? They say it's over in Sept. But, I can't imagine me not being able to get a similar or better deal in a few months. Thoughts? I see the HD package is $20. I currently have Top 250, locals, superstations and HBO. I see the HD package has Starz, Cinemax, Showtime all in HD. If I don't subscribe to those premium stations in Standard Def do I still get them in HD? (Im guessing not). Finally, what's with this HD Bronze, Gold and Silver packages? I saw them on the website once and now they aren't there. They still refer to them on the recording when you call Dish. I'm sorry for so many questions, but when I called, I get a little different story each time, which I know everyone here is used to! I'm very excited and want to make sure I do this right. Any suggestions/answers would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Tim

2. zlensman

zlensman Legend

Jan 15, 2006
    Wow, someone who has been a lurker longer than I have! :lol:

Dish promos come and go, but the best deals always go to new subscribers. That includes those getting a new receiver or new service that they don't already have. I would say wait until you're ready, but remember that there are no guarantees. The promos available when you get your HD set could be better, worse, or no different.

Once you have the HD Pack, you will only get premium channels in HD if you subscribe to that premium package. So, if you got it now, you would have HBO-HD, but not the others.

Bronze, Silver, and Gold were packages of the HD channels with AT100, AT200, and AT250 respectively. They dumped that and now you pick your AT package and add HD, or not. Enjoy!

3. zlensman

zlensman Legend

Jan 15, 2006
    But, wait, there's more!

You mentioned getting a 622, but if it's all the same price you should get the 722. If the 722 is more, then you have to decide if the extra price is worth it for the larger internal hard drive and the VC-1 decoder which may or may not be used for something cool in the future.

Also, I'm assuming here that you are using the "Dish'n It Up" promo. I doubt that will go away, but it might be the kind of thing they put an end date on and always renew. Then if they really needed to drop it for some reason, they could just let it lapse.

Now, let's talk HD locals. From the EKB, I see that St. Louis has HD locals from dish. You Lucky Dog! Austin has been on the "coming soon" list for a looong time. To get those HD locals from 118.75, you will need a Dish 1000+. Make sure your installer will bring that along with the new receiver.

Finally, even with HD locals, you will probably want an OTA antenna. If you don't already have one, start looking into what you will need, where to get it, and how to install it. It's not always obvious.

Like the blind leading the blind, I am the n00b leading the n00b! Good luck!

4. BobaBird

BobaBird EKB Editor

Mar 30, 2002
    The only thing I can add to that is getting DVR Advantage. Knocks the DVR fee down by $3.98 to $2, and HBO for just $10.

You should de-lurk more often. :up:

5. KWarner

KWarner Cool Member

Apr 3, 2005
    Thanks guys. Very helpful as always. I hadn't really looked into DVR advantage, so I think I'll do that too. From what I understand the 622 is the standard DVR for the promotion. If I can get the 722 I will. Also, I will tell them to be sure and do the Dish 1000. My experience with Dish has been if a promo goes away, a new one comes that is similar or the same, just worded different. So I imagine a deal will be there at Christmas. However, the thing to be is a new customer. There are always better deals there. I really have few complaints though. I have had several problems over the years, and Dish has taken care of them with very little fuss or money. Thanks for the advice.

6. zlensman

zlensman Legend

Jan 15, 2006
    That's the plan -- less lurking, more posting.

I have DVR Advantage, but I didn't mention it because he has AT250 and I didn't think you could have both. I see now from the Dish website that AT250 can be added to DVR Advantage for $10/month. Dish pricing: clear as mud!

Tim, you will want the Dish 1000+, not the 1000 -- there is a difference. The 1000+ will receive HD locals from 118.75 and the 1000 will not. I have a Dish 1000 because Austin still doesn't have HD locals. Oh, did I mention that already? Well, I'll stop harping on it -- after all, it's coming real soon now. :)nono2:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.