1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Help with HR24-500 DVR

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by jackm, Jul 24, 2014.

1. jackm

jackm Mentor

Apr 22, 2005
    I have had this receiver for sometime. But recently - I can't turn the receiver on and off - with the remote control. Can't change channels - new batteries etc. So tried to turn the receiver off and on from the receiver - and nothing worked. couldn't not change channels either. I unplugged and did a reboot - and things will start working for an hour or so....and then everything stops. Hope someone has some suggestions...as this is the main receiver in my living room. Thanks for any and all help.

2. sigma1914

sigma1914 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    Time for a replacement - call them.

3. jackm

jackm Mentor

Apr 22, 2005
    Any way to save the movies I have on the receiver? Thanks

4. sigma1914

sigma1914 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
  5. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Try this, it might help.
    When the receiver is working, Menu, Search & Browse, Smart Search, now type in CLEARMYBOX, choose Keyword and let it work.
    It will restart and does some housekeeping by getting rid of old information. All of your recordings, settings, favorites, etc. will still be there.

Did you get a new TV or add anything to the room that might be emitting IR signals. Too much IR signals have been known to totally lock up a receiver.

6. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    I would try an RF remote

7. RunnerFL

RunnerFL DIRECTV A-Team

Jan 4, 2006
    You must have missed the part where the OP said he couldn't even turn it off at the box, without a remote being involved. :)

8. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Nope, did not missed it. It could be interference. I would still try an RF remote

9. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    He could try changing to RF if he has it during this hour that it is working.

10. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    How warm is the DVR to the touch?

Have you checked its internal temperature reading?

11. TomCat

TomCat Broadcast Engineer

Aug 31, 2002
    How does one do that?

Also, does CLEARMYBOX work on all DVR+ models?

12. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Menu, Search & Browse, Smart Search, now type in CLEARMYBOX, choose Keyword and let it work.

I have used it on both of my HR24-100s and it worked well. Others have reported that they used it on their HR34s and it worked for them.
    It is similar to doing a rbr and as son as programming comes back then do a rbr again but it appears to do more. I have no documentation as to what it actually is doing.

13. bertman64

bertman64 AllStar

Aug 24, 2007
    Youtube stuff used to make mine freeze up. Try Red button reset, unplug, call in for replacement if needed!

14. acostapimps

acostapimps Hall Of Famer

Nov 5, 2011
    Illinois
    Not only does it flush the Guide and Youtube,Pandora and My Directv features, It also flushes the channel logos in the banner
    It literally does clearmybox :biggrin: , But is better than doing double reboots which could take forever, Not with the HR44 though

1 person likes this.
  15. RunnerFL

RunnerFL DIRECTV A-Team

Jan 4, 2006
    Interference doesn't keep a button actually on the unit itself from working. lol

16. Steve

Steve DIRECTV A-Team

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    +1. Also the fact it works as expected for an hour after a reboot, and then stops responding. Sounds like a corrupted software issue, to me. I've never tried this, but re-installing the current software might fix it and save the recordings. Nothing to lose trying that.

If that doesn't work, I'd try watching as many recordings as possible and then doing a "reset everything". If that fails, then time to send it back, IMHO.

17. acostapimps

acostapimps Hall Of Famer

Nov 5, 2011
    Illinois
    Like harsh said I would check the temp in the System Info menu by pressing Info button for a few seconds, which the System Test/Info menu pops up, then go to System Info, Or go to DiagnosticTest for hard drive CPU etc maybe someone can chime in on how to access it.

18. dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
    On a reboot, when you see 'Running Self-Check' press the select key and a menu of diagnostics is presented.

19. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I tried it on a bunch of my HRs and it screwed up my MRV royally. I'm probably the only one this has happened to, but I got back from vacation, waited a few days, rebooted all the HRs and the MRV is now working normally. Since nobody else has reported the same thing happening to them, I'll attribute that to my lousy luck and just keep on doing what I've always done when an HR got wonky, reboot twice quickly.

Rich

20. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    If that was any other HR than a 500, I'd agree. I can't help but wonder if the next NR might clear up his problems. Don't know when that might be, but I've had 500s do some wacky things that the next NR cleared up. I've never seen this happen on any other model, just the 24-500. I've tried downloading and installing the NR in the stream, but that's never worked. But, as you said, there's nothing to lose by reinstalling the software. I know it's hard to wait for an NR to fix something, but I do it, rather than lose a 500, no matter how wacky they are I like them. Certainly doesn't sound like a hardware issue, not a PS issue. I think you're right about the corrupted software.

Rich