1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with LNB Prob?

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by bassangler68, Jun 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bassangler68

bassangler68 New Member

Jun 4, 2005
    I'm not sure if this is the right forum but here goes...

My problem points to the LNB but I need confirmation.

I have a 3 receiver set-up from E*. My DP510 is having "issues" with all the channels on 110. 119 works fine. After doing a switch check it shows 110 not connecting with the satellite however, the signal strength for 110 is well over 100 but is shows red and says wrong satellite. I checked all connections etc., all is fine. My other two receivers picked up 110 fine. I then moved one of the "good" units to the location of the DP510, same issue, no 110.

I then swapped around the cables on the LNB (110 to 119) and now I get a better signal of 110 channels on my DP510. All other units still perfect. It's not a perfect fix as the picture tends to break-up from a weak signal but now it shows green and in the 40's. Also can't get the guide to update.

Any clues??

2. SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon Hall Of Fame

Jan 15, 2004
    Welcome aboard!

Have you run a Check Switch?

What do the "Details" say?

Compare them to the other receivers.

3. bassangler68

bassangler68 New Member

Jun 4, 2005
    Yes, I have run check switch multiple times. When the cable was connected to it's original location on the LNB it would give me:

All
    Quad

Conn
    X
    Quad

After I switched the cable to another spot on the LNB I now get:

All
    Quad

All
    Quad

4. mudder1310

mudder1310 AllStar

May 15, 2005
    You've got something in the way of 110 or a faulty LNB. When you saw the signal level at 100 but wrong sat, that was the 119 signal. I'd go out and see if there's a tree or something blocking the left side of the dish's line of sight. If there's nothing call Dish Network and they'll either send you a new lnb or send a tech out.

5. boba

boba Hall Of Fame

May 23, 2003
    How do these compare signal strength with the other two receivers same satellite same transponder numbers suggested 11 & 12 for comparison? Have you done a power cord reset on the 510? The 9 day guide is downloaded off the 110 satellite so that should be your guide problem. Move the 510 to another location and try it where you have a known working receiver, see if the problem follows the receiver. :)

6. SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon Hall Of Fame

Jan 15, 2004
    There are many possible problems here - including everything already posted.

Do what Boba says and tell us what the signal strengths are on 110 & 119 transponders 11 & 12 for ALL receivers / LNB ports. Significantly lower strength on the 110 side can be a line of sight issue (trees leafing out?) or maybe the dish just need to be re-aimed.

As he says, it's a isolation / process of elimination game. Take notes. ;)

A bad LNB port is often just a connector problem.

7. bassangler68

bassangler68 New Member

Jun 4, 2005
    Ok, all receivers show same problem. My signal on 110 is now zero across all units. The guide seems to be up to date now though. Basically I do not see 110 anywhere. I tried fine tuning the dish and all I can seem to do is peak 119 and never see 110 at all. There is a tree slightly to the left of the line of sight but that tree has been there and I've had a signal for 3 years in this location. The tree looks to still be the same size (big) as it has been the last 3 years.

I am trying to rule out all options before I call for service as my warranty is expired however I was offered the $5.99/month warranty that would drop the service call for $99 down to $29.

I have also done the full unplug reset thing to clear all receivers.

8. SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon Hall Of Fame

Jan 15, 2004
    If by "line of sight" you mean by going straight down the LNB arm, then "slightly to the left" (4.5 degrees to be exact) is where 110 is.

Up where you're at, the elevations are pretty low so I'm suspecting the tree IS the problem.

If you care to sight the elevation, remember that the dish face is 22 degrees lower than where the signal is coming from. The elevation number used for aiming IS "real" - get a protractor and sight using that number and see if the tree is the problem.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.