1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help With Signal Loss At Night

Discussion in 'DISH™ High Definition Discussion' started by VPIflyer, May 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VPIflyer

VPIflyer New Member

Aug 29, 2006
    I have the strangest signal loss problem. I have a Dish 1000 system with a HD and standard def DVR. During the day, everything seems to work great. I have a good signal from all three sats (110, 119, and even 129). However, at night things seem to fall apart.

Whenever I change channels, I will lose the signal. It doesn't seem to matter whether I'm switching to a particular sat or transponder. Once another channel is selected, I cross my fingers. If I'm lucky, it will come back after a few seconds. If not, I get nothing. Using the menu 611 I will not have a signal or the signal will appear for a second or two, then go away again. It seems like the signal is there, but for some reason will not lock. Lately, I've also had problems with not receiving the local braodcast in HD, even though the info shows that the broadcast is in HD. The really frustrating part of this is that it only seems to happen at night, not during the day.

Could it be that I need to have a DPP44 switch installed? Could this provide enough signal strength to allow the receivers to lock better.

Thanks in advance for the help.

2. tomcrown1

tomcrown1 Hall Of Fame

Jan 16, 2006
    Did you check your dish at night. Myabe something is happening to block the signal to you dish. Maybe one of your neighbors is doing something that blocks your line of sight.

3. 585960

585960 Legend

Feb 4, 2007
    Daytime, usually has less moisture than evening. Try looking for loose fittings at a ground block or barrel if in line. Get a weather boot on them if not already. Anyone else?

4. VPIflyer

VPIflyer New Member

Aug 29, 2006
    Thanks for the quick response. I don't have any neighbors that could block the dish. There is really nothing that is there at night that isn't there during the day.

5. Oldford

Oldford Cool Member

Jun 23, 2006
    I have heard of this problem being caused by a bad LNB. I've not seen it personally however. You might swap the lnb(s) out if you have a spare, just to see if that cures it.

Regards from Eastern Maine, Eric

6. BNUMM

BNUMM Hall Of Fame

Dec 23, 2006
    It sounds like a moisture problem. Putting a boot on it will not help because the moisture is already in it. There is a remote possibility that it could be an LNB. You may have to have a tech come out and check things out.

7. jarvantgroup

jarvantgroup Icon

Mar 24, 2006
    Usually when cut-outs happen like that in the evening/night after a hot day, the culprit is either the LNB or the switch. I'd swap the LNB. :icon_cool

8. 4bama

4bama Godfather

Aug 6, 2006
    If your HD DVR is a 622 use Menu 6-1-3 and see what it says after it finishes all the tests...

9. tasp

tasp AllStar

Mar 2, 2007
    I had a customer with an odd problem last year. Running the microwave oven would cause the living room DISH box to lose signal. Also, the wahing machine and the exercise machine would cause a problem too.

Turned out the neutral bar in the electric panel was loose, and the ground rod on the satellite dish was functioning as a 'neutral'.

Tightening the barfixed the problem, but it was VERY difficult to figure out. I kept thinking the microwave oven was leaking radiation that was interfering with the satellite signal . . .

Where I am headed with this is, what's different at night in your home?

Everyone is there using more electricity than during the day. You might have a bizarre wiring problem that is affecting the receiver when a larger amount of power is being used.

Be very open minded about what might be affecting your satellite.

10. robert koerner

robert koerner Icon

Aug 20, 2005
    You get my 5 star rating for figuring that one out!
    Bob

11. skyviewmark1

skyviewmark1 Godfather

Sep 28, 2006
    I had a customer call and complain that she got to watch tv all day long until her husband came home at night.. As soon as husband arrived she lost her satellite signal and couldn't watch tv... Found out husband had a radar detector and somehow was parking in a way that it killed the dish. He started turning it off when he got home and no more problems... This story goes back a while, so don't know if that kind of problem can still happen.

12. whatchel1

whatchel1 Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2006
    The most likely culprit is condensation in connectors. It could be where the OTA was placed in line with the diplexer. Check the entire line to the DPP44. Replace connectors thru out. I say that it is mostly like this in that you stated that it was also your local HD channels as well. If it is an OTA channels also then it is unlikely a LNB problem.

13. paulman182

paulman182 Hall Of Fame

Aug 4, 2006
    Back in the C-band days, this type of thing was often caused by wasps returning to their nest in the feedhorn each evening. The moisture in their bodies blocked the signal.

Not saying that is in any way possible here, just thought someone might find it interesting.

14. VPIflyer

VPIflyer New Member

Aug 29, 2006
    I appreciate all who answered. I finally figured it out one night. I was in the basement watching the braves when my wife brought me something to look at. I asked her to turn on the track lighting so I could read it. She left the lights on and went back upstairs. After the game, I tried to switch to the news and dadgumit here we go again - signal loss. I was really frustrated because everything had been working so well earlier. What had changed? Then it hit me - THE LIGHTS!

I turned off the track lighting (which is on a dimmer) and the signal came back immediately. I experimented with this for several minutes. Every time I turned the lights on I had trouble with the signal and every time I turned them off it came right back. Since that time, anytime we have had a signal problem the lights were on in the basement. As soon as we turned them off the signal comes right back.

Now I just need to figure out how to fix it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.