1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with tailgate setup, what am I missing here?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by millsjr, Oct 24, 2010.

1. millsjr

millsjr New Member

Oct 24, 2010
    This past Saturday I could not get my tailgate setup to work at all. I just switched to Direct at the beginning of the football season so there were a few growing pains getting it all going a month and a half ago but I worked through it and have been able to get it all working the past 3 games but this last weekend no go.

Here is what I have. Dish is a slimline-3 using 2 RG6 lines (out of 4) to an HR24-500 hd dvr. Both lines have the BBC installed just before the receiver.

At home I have a slimline 3 SWM so I have to redo the setup everytime. The last 3 games I have gone into redo setup and in the setup menu I select slimeline 3, multiswitch, and dual tuner. I then hit continue and the reciever will say no sat. detected. I then have gone to the sat. signal meters and tune in the 101 sat. I have never gotten it to work the first time and usually have to run thru the setup 2-3 times before it will "see" the signal from 101. When it does see it it is always easy to hit and I am well into the 90's for all sats. (99,101,103). I have the elevation and skew(tilt) locked in tight and just aiming the azmith.

Overall (Dish Network/Direct) I have done this dozens of times and had no problems with the aiming part of it. I don't feel this is an aiming issue but more of a receiver setup issue. I don't understand why the receiver won't let me see the signal the first time I run thru the setup. It like nothing is there at all and then the 3rd or 4th time thru the setup it just leaps out of the screen at me with booming signal strength.

This past weekend I must have run thru the setup literally 20 time trying to make it work and never saw any signal at all from 101. I did hard and soft boots, I tried everything I could think of and nothing. I triple checked everything and just nothing. I just don't get it. I feel like I am pretty technically savy but this new receiver is making me look like an idiot. :confused:

Do I need to some how make sure I have the 101 signal before I hook up to the receiver? I only ask this because I get the stupid thing home that night, hook it up and bam it runs thru the check itself and detects everything with out me touching a thing and I'm watching tv in 10 min.

What the heck am I missing? Any thoughts at all would be apprciated.

John

2. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    I would strongly suggest getting a SWM3LNB and power inserter so you dont have to change the satellite setup every time. These boxes were not designed to be switched between different types of satellite dishes over and over, and the HR24, being new, is likely to have some bugs in the software anyway. You obviously found one of them.

3. liquidctv

liquidctv Legend

Oct 13, 2010
    Don't run through the setup until the signal meters are alive.

As an installer, we spend most of our time on the signal meter screen. When all satellites are in the 90's, THEN we hit continue.

The sat meters are pretty good. Sometimes if you start with zeroes, the tuner will stay zeroed and will need a reboot to get a signal. But in general, you can use the sat meters to align the dish.

THEN hit continue.

4. millsjr

millsjr New Member

Oct 24, 2010
    Thanks for the responses.

Definitely seems to be a little buggy.

Liquid,

I will try and get the signal first without any setup changes and see how that works, I hope that is the ticket. Will set it up tonight and see what happens.
    Thanks.

John

5. cbjbuck

cbjbuck New Member

Oct 25, 2010
    Same issue for first time this weekend.

Have SWM3 at home and slimline3in1lnb for tailgate.

In the past, I just wait for the satellite not detected message...press menu and switch H21 (with BBC) settings to slimline 3 / multiswitch. Sometimes have to reset the receiver to get new multiswitch setting to stick. This weekend H21 would not stay on multiswitch (always went back to SWM automatically). I figured it needed a signal to confirm the switch (never needed this in the past).

Finally had to drive home (live 12 minutes from tailgate spot luckily) and take the SWM lnb off the roof / power supply from the house (wife thought I was insane and too tipsy to be on the roof, but I had 30 tailgaters counting on me). Back at the tailgate, was easily able to get a signal on 101 with the SWM lnb using my usual routine (10 minutes before kickoff).

After the game, I switched out the SWM lnb for the slimline3in1lnb / BBC (dish was now aimed at 101). H21 receiver was now able to change setting to slimline 3 / multiswitch, no problem (had to confirm new setting with satellite...I think).

Think I might take Davelnr's advice now and match my home system for the tailgate.

As far as liquidctv's comment, I have never been able to get signal meters as long as the receiver box is still set to SWM...only after it accepts the change to multiswitch (and keeps it upon reset).

Never had a problem switching back and forth before... new firmware issue?

6. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    Don't think it's a new firmware issue. I've had problems switching several different boxes between SWM and conventional, and there does not appear to be any consistency to it. Basically, once a receiver is set to SWM mode, it expects to stay there. They are not designed to go back and forth (without doing a reset-everything to start from scratch).

7. cbjbuck

cbjbuck New Member

Oct 25, 2010
    This is my first time having trouble ...but I'm a newbie. And once I had the dish aimed properly, I had no difficulty changing from SWM to multiswitch.

Thanks for your thoughts and thanks to the OP for starting this interesting thread.

8. DAVID A JOHNSON

DAVID A JOHNSON Mentor

Feb 7, 2006
    I've been in the exact same mode. I've had Dish for 10 years and have been using it for tailgating at UGA for 8 years with no real problems. I switched to Directv 2 weeks ago. I love the service, but setting up for my first tailgate of the year for Georgia/Florida in Jacksonville has been a PITA to deal with. My problems have been the same as yours when practicing in the front yard. I got it once, but I can't repeat the process. I've decided to scrap the HD for now and just use an HD receiver for 101. I'll try again next year for HD. I only use a 24 inch tv, so HD really isn't that important. Glad someone else feels my pain. The 24 series of receiver, according to my installer, does not like to be taken off of a SWM setting once it's there, so I know how that goes.

9. millsjr

millsjr New Member

Oct 24, 2010
    Wow, interesting to know that others are having the same issue trying to switch from SWM to multiswitch.

cbjbuck, I love it. I would have done the same thing but I am 30 minutes away and had no time to do it. My wife would have thought I was going off the deep end too. She doesn't even understand why I wanted to do HD this year at all and thought I was insane. I had people leaving the tailgate because I could not get the game on. It really ticked me off. (Not the people, the receiver)

I also agree that I can't seem to get the signal meters to work if I don't already have the signal locked in with the right settings. Makes no sense to have the receiver do this. I wish I would have matched the systems knowing what I know now. Oh well.

Did not get a chance to play with it tonight and will work on it on Wednesday.
    I will post results.

Does anyone know if the non-dvr 24 series hd receiver (H24?) would act the same?

John

10. millsjr

millsjr New Member

Oct 24, 2010
    Nevermind the last question. I missed the comment by Johnson and that all 24 series receivers act this way.

John

11. Kevin F

Kevin F Hall Of Fame

May 9, 2010
    I was in the same boat a few weeks ago at a ny giants tailagte with a d12 receiver and 18 inch round dish. Had to rweset the receiver 3 times before it would accept the change. Then 2 more until I got any sat signal from the 101. No idea why it kept having goose eggs across the board but it worked in the end. I hope it doesn't happen this weekend... also any tips for me and the rest of the gang here on tailgate dish would help.

12. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    Best tip is to use the exact same thing you use at home, so you dont have to switch the receiver between different setups. If you have SWM at home, use SWM for tailgating. If you have problems with the real short cable run from PI to LNB, stick a 2 way splitter between them, using the power passing port to attenuate the signal a bit.

13. DAVID A JOHNSON

DAVID A JOHNSON Mentor

Feb 7, 2006
    The problem using a SWM setup is that it requires a PI. My inverter only can handle two things plugged into it. I use a car battery and an inverter for tailgates. It's not as good as a generator, but it works. If I use a power strip to plug in one more thing into that inverter the inverter shorts out.

14. doctor j

doctor j Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jun 14, 2006
    Birmingham, Al.
    With a "new" SWM system and especially the H24/HR24 series the swapping back and forth IS (not can be) a pain.

One additional "trick" is to change setup to a 18" round single LNB system to get it out of SWM mode and then go to SWM3/5 multiswitch (non SWM) mode.

The BEST solution is to go to a SWM LNB on your portable dish AND get a meter to set up signal with power inserter thru a 2 way splitter (PI on one side power passing) . Setup signal MUST be done prior to connecting receiver as it will bypass setup mode on LNB if receiver detected.

After multiyears of all manner of setups I like the ease/size of the SL3 (SWM or non SWM) on a Phase III dish. If you need 119 for locals you'll have to go full size slimline.

IF you're going to setup tailgates year after year a good meter (used ver 2.5 Birddog) is a needed and GREAT investment.

Good Luck

Doctor j

15. Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    Excellent Post!!!

16. millsjr

millsjr New Member

Oct 24, 2010
    Well tried a different receiver tonight just for the heck or it, an H24-700 and it acted exactally the same, damn. I know it is still a 24 series but I thought I would try. Went thru the setup several times and reset the box several times and nothing on the signal meter. This really sucks since I bought my tailgate setup new. Thought I did the research on what to get and never saw anything about the 24 series having this problem. Dont really want to spend more $.

3 days away from tailgate and I'm not sure what to do. Sounds like I need a SWM lnb and a signal meter and maybe a splitter.

Can someone direct me to the proper splitter and explain a little further on how to set it up? Which coax go on the in side and what goes on the 2 outputs?

Thanks,
    John

17. NASCR2424

NASCR2424 Legend

Nov 16, 2007
    I Power up receiver and go to setup menu and change dish type before I plug in the cable, has worked good everytime so far.

18. Kev4Bama

Kev4Bama Legend

Aug 7, 2010
    I am about to switch our setup from sd to HD. I am ordering an AU9-SL3 and H24 and a BBC. What I am going to do though is use the new H24 to replace one of my existing H21-200's I am going to use the H21-200 only for tailgating so I dont put it through the wear and tear of hooking and unhooking everytime I want to use it. It is worth 5 bucks a month to not have to screw with it. I currently have an AU9-SL3 on the roof with multi switch which is what I will be using for my tailgate I am just hoping I wont have an issue getting the new H24 to accept that out of the box.