1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Help with vacation home installation

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by jmpellet, Jun 28, 2013.

1. jmpellet

jmpellet New Member

Jun 28, 2013
    MA
    I have a vacation home where I want to bring back and forth my HR24 receiver. I think the extra dish I have is a SWM with the 3 style LNB? See pictures below.

Do I need to buy a single LNB now that I only need one cable in or can I use the existing dish as is? The installer at my primary home said I could use the existing dish but just one cable. If that's the case which do I choose? Or, do I need to buy:

DIRECTV SL3-SWM SlimLine Single Wire Ka/Ku Triple LNB With Built-In Multiswitch
    http://www.amazon.com/DIRECTV-SL3-SWM-SlimLine-Built-In-Multiswitch/dp/B003ZT28GC/ref=pd_sim_e_2

I am also wondering which power inserter I need and if this dish will even work. I need a run in excess of 100 feet so do I need the unit with 29 volts vs. 21?

http://www.amazon.com/DIRECTV-PI-29Z-Power-Inserter-SWM-LNB/dp/B003C292AC/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1372473859&sr=8-2&keywords=directv+power+inserter

Thank you from a newbie!!

Attached Files:

2. carl6

carl6 Moderator DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    The LNB assembly shown in your photo is a 5LNB non-SWM. If you have SWM at home, you will have hassles going back and forth between SWM and non-SWM when you move the receiver. You want both LNB's to be the same. Also, that particular LNB assembly does not use a power inserter.

http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp?mc=02&p=SL3-SWM&d=DIRECTV-SL3SWM-SlimLine-Single-Wire-KaKu-Triple-LNB-With-BuiltIn-Multiswitch-%28SL3SWM%29&c=DIRECTV%20Dishes&sku=8546300073
    is the 3 LNB SWM unit.

http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp?mc=02&p=SL5-SWM&d=DIRECTV-SL5SWM-SlimLine-Single-Wire-KaKu-Five-LNB-With-BuiltIn-Multiswitch-%28SL5SWM%29&c=DIRECTV%20Dishes&sku=
    is the 5 LNB SWM unit

In either case, you will also need the power supply. What you linked will work.

If your home dish/LNB is non-SWM, then forget these and get the applicable 3 or 5 LNB non-SWM assembly. No power supply needed.

With SWM, you only need one coax. With non-SWM, you need one coax for each tuner. A DVR has 2 tuners.

3. jmpellet

jmpellet New Member

Jun 28, 2013
    MA
    Thanks for the quick reply. Am I best just leaving that receiver there since its a non swm? If I do that I shouldn't have troubles correct? Does the hr24 provide power to the dish? I thought I read that it might and I wouldn't need an inverter? Thanks so much for the help!!

4. litzdog911

litzdog911 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    Yes, leaving the receiver there would keep it easier. And the receiver powers a non-SWM dish directly.

5. jmpellet

jmpellet New Member

Jun 28, 2013
    MA
    But two separate rg6 runs needed though?

6. litzdog911

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    Yes, if you want to use both DVR tuners.

7. jmpellet

jmpellet New Member

Jun 28, 2013
    MA
    What if I were to switch out the 5lnb for a 3lnb? Would this eliminate the need for the extra cable? Does it still need to be solid copper core or is quad shielded ok even if I'm doing over 100 feet? I assume I then need a power inverter but not a bbc connector? I have a brand new install at my primary house and there are three booms even though just one cable goes into the house. What's up with that?

8. carl6

carl6 Moderator DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    Whether you need one or two coax depends on whether you have SWM (1 coax) or non-SWM (2 coax) for a DVR, not on whether it is 3 or 5 LNB. They are two entirely different technologies. You can read more in the Dish FAQ: http://hr20.dbstalk.com/docs/Dish,%20Multiswitch%20and%20Cable%20FAQ.pdf

For a run over 100 feet, solid copper core is highly recommended. The reason for solid copper core versus copper clad steel is related to the DC power handling capability of the coax. Solid copper core has much less voltage drop over a given distance than does copper clad steel. Quad shield is normally not needed and won't make a difference in your system. It's okay, but not needed.

An SWM LNB requires the separate power inserter. A non-SWM dish is powered directly by the receiver. Again, two entirely different technologies. Do not use a separate power inserter with a non-SWM dish.

The bbc is required in non-SWM installations.

By "three booms", I think you are referring to the number of plastic housings on the LNB assembly. The larger of the three housings actually has 3 LNB's inside of it. The other two have one LNB each. Each LNB is designed to receive signals from a different satellite. The 3 LNB receives 99-101-103. The five LNB also gets 110 and 119 in addition to 99-101-103.

9. jmpellet

jmpellet New Member

Jun 28, 2013
    MA
    So I read the PDF and I think I somewhat get it. So I have a 5lnb non swm slimline with four inputs. Am I best to buy a 3lnb swm and use the same dish? At that point I run one copper core rg6 and use a power inverter for my single hr24?

10. jmpellet

jmpellet New Member

Jun 28, 2013
    MA
    Btw, all the help is super appreciated!!

11. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    Unless there is something on 119 you need (110 is not used in the CONUS) which isn't much these days beyond Spanish programming and SD spotbeam locals for some markets, you can safely switch to a SL-3. However changing to the SWiM type SL-3, or an "SL-3S" will work fine, but is somewhat wasteful for only one HD DVR receiver (unless its a Genie), since only 2 out the possible 8 tuners it can support will be used.

12. jmpellet

jmpellet New Member

Jun 28, 2013
    MA
    We don't have any special needs or extra service so you would recommend sticking with what I have, running two copper core RG6 and buying two BBC connectors? We specifically got the non Genie version for the one we would bring away. And it is just the one HR24 DVR.

13. litzdog911

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    You can get the B-Band Converters from DirecTV for free. Call them.

14. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    We don't have any special needs or extra service so you would recommend sticking with what I have, running two copper core RG6 and buying two BBC connectors?

That would be your best option.

15. jmpellet

jmpellet New Member

Jun 28, 2013
    MA
    Now to find the cable locally or online quickly. Thanks for all the help! I'm sure I will have more questions!

16. jmpellet

jmpellet New Member

Jun 28, 2013
    MA
    So here's what I have so far as a test that I can't get to work. Slimline 5 lnb connected cable to first port on switch, connected to bbc, connected to first satellite in on dvr. Dvr is connected to tv via hdmi. Get errors including the 775 error and after trying to configure using slimline, multiswitch, single tuner settings on the directv menu I get: a satellite signal could not be detected. This dvr was originally set up for a swm install although never connected to a tv or used but its only about a month old. I've flicked the red button to reboot many times but no luck. What am I doing wrong?

17. jmpellet

jmpellet New Member

Jun 28, 2013
    MA
    Clarification: slimline 5 setting on dtv menu.

18. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    if you have a "regular" 4 port LNB, you dont need a switch. Connect cable from LNB to the DVR, repeat satellite set up process. Make sure the dish is aligned or the new settings wont "stick"

19. jmpellet

jmpellet New Member

Jun 28, 2013
    MA
    Just wanted to close this thread with a big thank everyone for all the help you all gave me a few weeks back. I learned more than I ever thought about dish alignment, signals and what not and everyone was s helpful. For now I have the burial CCS cable as I couldn't get the SCC quickly. If I need to re-run at some point I know what I need to do to make that happen. Thanks ahain!!

20. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    awesome. Glad we could help