1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with Weaknees External HD

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Matt621, May 18, 2017.

1. Matt621

Matt621 New Member

May 18, 2017
    Hello All,

I have a standard Directv DVR I think it's the H24.

3 years ago I bought a Weaknees external HD with RAID (2 WD 2TB drives.)

So the fan died (for the 2nd time) and while I had it open I decided to replace one of the drives. I had an extra WD Drive that I ordered last time I replaced the fan. I did this because sometimes it really got slow and reading some of the forums folks mentioned that as the HD ages it can sometimes get some bad sectors and cause this problem. I was just trying to see if that might be the issue. In all other ways everything worked great.

So I put in the new fan, power it up, all is fine. So I powered it down, pulled the top drive, but in the new drive and powered it up. I got a few seconds of flashing lights and then nothing. I waited thinking the system was probably detecting the drive change and at some point would start copying over to the new drive. I waited 15 minutes and it never did. I can hear both drive running and there is the initial flashing of the LEDS and the power LED is lit. So I know it has power and some functionality.

At this point I thought maybe the "new" hard drive might have a problem. (it was brand new in the pkg.) So I pulled it, put the original drive back it and it does the same thing!

If I boot the DVR it boots to the internal drive, not the external drive.

Weaknees just wants me to send the thing in so they can charge me boo koo bucks to "fix" it.

Reading these forums there seems to be lots of people with estata drives in enclosures and other than having to wait for the system to boot on the new drive, it works fine.

Does anyone have a clue as to why putting back the original drive with all the same data did not come back up?

Thanks so much for any help you can give.

2. Matt621

Matt621 New Member

May 18, 2017
    Well I can tell you what not to do...

I eventually got this to boot. But not before wiping out the entire contents of my drive. Here is what I think happened. When I put the new empty drive into the RAID, when the Directv booted, it saw a new drive empty. Now that should NOT have have happened. It should have seen the other drive that was part of the RAID and just continued on. But no matter how many times I tried to get the Weaknees enclosure electronics to boot and rebuild the RAID it would not.

Finally after many attempts I ended up plugging it into the DVR and like I said, after several attempt it finally did boot. But with an empty drive.

I still have the 2nd drive from the original RAID, but I don't know if the contents are good or gone. I will attempt to use a PC to view it and possible clone it to see if I can get the DVR to recognize it as "good" drive using it's own enclosure.

Just don't do what I did. There has to be a way to force the Weaknees RAID to rebuild itself w/o the DVR plugged in. This is what should have happened.

Weaknees suggested I try the update button on the enclosure, but it did not do anything. At least nothing could see. (No HD activity to indicate rebuilding the RAID.)

If anyone has anything to add, I'm all ears. :)

Thanks

3. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    that's an "advantage" of proprietary RAID enclosure :(
    only its mfg could give you a hint or a manual

4. b52pooh

b52pooh Cool Member

Mar 10, 2011
    Southern Oregon
    It seems you are assuming that your RAID array is RAID 1, which means that the two drives are mirrored and you have a total of 2 TB of storage in your array. In that case, I believe the replacement drive must meet the same specs as the original drives. Is that the case? If the array is RAID type 0, then you will see a total of 4 TB storage, but it will not protect the data by mirroring. I do not know which type of RAID you have, but it would explain the drive not functioning after replacement, if you have RAID 0.

P Smith likes this.
  5. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I gotta say: Stay away from Weaknees! Way too expensive for what you get. Also, with the present stability of D* DVRs, you really don't need a RAID enclosure. Just a 2TB HDD and an enclosure will do the job. Might cost a few bucks less than $100.

Rich