1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. THEMUSTANG66

THEMUSTANG66 New Member

Mar 2, 2005
    I just got a HDTV. I also have Dish Network. I'm thinking about getting a HDTV receiver. I was looking at the 921.. Though I would love to have the PVR... My main requirement would be for quality HDTV reception. I have been reading the post... Can anyone give me some advice? Is the 811 a better buy for me?

2. Cyclone

Cyclone Hall Of Fame/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jul 1, 2002
    Well, the 921 is the only HD DVR out there. It can be had for under $500 at Costco, otherwise its about $550 + Shipping over the internet. The 811 might be available for lease from Dish, so that has little upfront cost. But no DVR. If you can't get it for a lease, then the 811 can be $400, which isn't that good compared to the 921.

Also find out what the HDTV situation is with your local broadcasters (NBC, CBS, FOX, ABC, etc..). All Dish HD receiver have a OTA HDTV tuner built in (over the air) so you can receive your local HD channels which aren't carried yet by satellite.

Keep reading, I've only scratched the surface.

3. bnam

bnam Mentor

Nov 25, 2004
    I've had my 921 since late Dec and my experience has been different than many (most?) of the posters here. I love the functionality of a PVR and I've not had any major problems with my 921 so far (have only rebooted once in ~10weeks). Based on my experience I would recommend the 921 even though it is not perfect.
    Byas

4. SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon Hall Of Fame

Jan 15, 2004
    bnam: Maybe you've only had to reboot it once, but be aware that it's rebooting itself a LOT more often than that.

There's no way a 921 will run more than about 10 days without going bonkers - at least as of a couple of releases back. It might be better now (but I doubt it).

5. dawson5

dawson5 Cool Member

Feb 1, 2005
    In my humble opinion, if you want the DVR, wait and see if the 942 is better than the 921. They are sending me my FIFTH 921 right now. I have no experience with the 811, but it doesn't record. Read through some of the comments here and decide whether you're feeling lucky or not.

6. JPC

JPC AllStar

Feb 8, 2005
    Be wary of the 942. You'll find hundreds of posts in this forum making reference to Dish's "track record" of releasing hardware that barely qualifies for beta testing, much less mass production. The general concensus is that it takes at least a year for them to get the bugs out of a new piece of hardware. Having said that, waiting to see if the 942 is "better" could take quite a while, so you might want to take that into consideration.

7. AVJohnnie

AVJohnnie Icon

Jul 27, 2004
    Ditto that sediment – And that’s just to get some of the really “Bad Boy” bugs sedated, the lesser weevils hang around a lot longer…

8. PNTR10

PNTR10 Cool Member

Feb 7, 2005
    I Have Both The 921 And An 811....both Hd Pictures Qualities Are The Same..however The Sd Picture Using Either Component Or Dvi Is Far Superior On The 811...but You Do Sacrifice The Ability To Record..i Would Wait For The 942 Without Question..my Understanding Is That It's Based On A Different Platform...i Would However Give Dish A Chance To Prove It Works Properly..i Can't Wait To Dump My 921 And Turn It Into A Doorstop.....kevin