1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Here is why *D cost so much

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by korkle, Aug 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aug 3, 2007 #1 of 13
    korkle

korkle Mentor

Jun 16, 2006
    I had two TIVO DVRs and one Sammy HD receiver. I upgraded two weeks ago to the HR-20. They installed the dish and the new box (it took three HR20s but I finally have one working correctly). I called today to upgrade the other two boxes. After an hour on the phone I got a HR20 and a non DVR HD receiver. I already have the dish and am just replacing the two other boxes. They had no way in their computer to just mail the boxes to me. I now have an install scheduled for a installer to come to my house and hand me two boxes that I will hook up myself. UPS could have delivered them quicker and cheaper. The CSR and two "supervisers" all agreed that this was dumb but that was the only way they could do it. (As an afterthought- it took two supervisors because the replacement boxes went on my account as orders and you are only allowed two HR20 "deals" every 6 months.) :grin: :confused:

2. Aug 4, 2007 #2 of 13
    korkle

korkle Mentor

Jun 16, 2006
    This saga continues: I checked my order online and found out the turkey had scheduled a full install -- dish and all. After I had told him several times I did not need a dish. I called this morning and got a CSR who had a little somthing on the ball (she said she was one of the "older CSR's -- she had been there for 1 1/2 years:D ). She CX my entire order and started from scratch. She is now shipping me the boxes, and gave me better price. I simply do not understand why we must always play "luck of the draw" with *D. I am finding that I know more about what is going on than they do (Thanks to DBSTalk!)

3. Aug 4, 2007 #3 of 13
    HDTVsportsfan

HDTVsportsfan New Member

Nov 29, 2005
    Well... I believe the idea at the beginning was that most upgrades would include the 5-LNB dish which can be much trickier to aim and peak. So all upgrades included a personal visit. Also for as many folks like us that have no problem connecting our own receivers, there are just as many that have no idea and are connecting the OTA cables to the SAT inputs for example.

There will never be a perfect system. I wish I could get them to send the receiver and be done with it, but I have never been able to get that to happen. I didn't even try when I had my -100 installed 2 weeks ago.

4. Aug 6, 2007 #4 of 13
    Thaedron

Thaedron Hall Of Fame

Jun 29, 2007
    I understand the issues around people that aren't able to perform the install, or when the equipment is non-functional on delivery. However the need to schedule an install for something that could (and should) be able to be delivered really gets irritating when the installer misses the window or doesn't show up at all.

5. Aug 6, 2007 #5 of 13
    AlbertZeroK

AlbertZeroK Icon

Jan 28, 2006
    I'm wondering if you get HR20's or H20's. I was told I was getting an HR20 shipped to my house, what I got was an H20...

6. Aug 7, 2007 #6 of 13
    Milominderbinder2

Milominderbinder2 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '08

Oct 8, 2006
    It is exactly the other way around.

The self installs are the most expensive to DIRECTV. We saw this clearly when we conducted the HR20 Site Survey.

People who installed themselves were much more likely to need to later replace their receivers, reformat, reboot, etc. Remember that our sample was of our fellow nerds, not the average user and the results were that bad. Worse, people who had self installed blamed DIRECTV and had lower customer satisfaction results.

It is cheaper just to get it installed right the first time.

The lawyer who represents himself has a fool for a client and a jackass for a lawyer.

- Craig

7. Aug 7, 2007 #7 of 13
    anubys

anubys Godfather

Jan 19, 2006
    I'm curious about this survey...are you saying people could not connect a power cord, two SAT cables, and an OTA cable from one unit to another?

or was the install more complicated than that?

8. Aug 7, 2007 #8 of 13
    carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    Most installs are not replacing one item for a similar item (receiver for receiver, dvr for dvr). Most intalls require as a minimum coax wiring to be done. As noted, in the long run it has proven to be more cost effective, and provide higher customer satisfaction, by having an installer do all installs/upgrades.

It's a business decision.

Your option: Order from a third party vendor, such as solid signal. They will ship to you, and you can do whatever you want with it.

Carl

9. Aug 7, 2007 #9 of 13
    Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    As much as I hate having to wait for a receiver, I think it's probably better that DIRECTV has someone come to the house. A lot of folks would see it as better customer service and it gives the installer a chance to see what's going on.

Not everyone is as good at reporting bugs as we are...

10. anubys

anubys Godfather

Jan 19, 2006
    the flip side is that I have to take a day off from work, wait for hours as the guy is late, then have to endure his horrible BO as he tries to tell me that the compressed network picture from DirecTV is better than picking it up with my OTA antenna!

11. falken

falken Legend

Jun 14, 2007
    I was told that every time the wind blows or it rains the picture on my OTA is going to go out, those antennas are not nearly as reliable as the sat dish.

I guess its never been windy or rainy here cause the picture is always crystal clear. :)

12. anubys

anubys Godfather

Jan 19, 2006
    I can top this...my installer told me that my antenna won't pick up the networks in the summer because the attic (it's an attic antenna) gets too hot...

13. PerryH

PerryH New Member

Aug 8, 2007
    I got my first set up from solid signal, but they wouldn't give me my "rebate" until I had a "professional installer" come out to sign off on things.

I had everything up and running in less than 2 hours and that included killing the wasps that had set up shop in the old dish mounting tube on my roof.

The installer shows up 2 weeks later relatively on time - 30 minutes late I think, but that's good for these types of things. She steps out of the truck, and I kid you not, she had to have weighed 400+ pounds.

She comes inside and looks at my setup and goes to the signal strength screens. She said "baby - this one is way too low, let me see your dish".

She walks around the side of the house and says "you can't pick up anything over the top of that tree" (there is a tall magnolia tree that the dish is peering over to see the satellites). She says she needs to get up there. I thought to myself that this ought to be interesting.

I had a fiberglass step ladder (9 foot - at an 8 foot high part of the roof line) all set up for her. I climb up there to show her the way, and come back down. I try to hold the ladder for her, but it is shimmying, swaying, and bulging in the middle. She gets her head about level with the roof, there is a loud pop from my ladder, but nothing falls. She stops looks at the satellite and suddenly changes her mind, "Oh - that's not so bad. It looks good to me" signs the papers and leaves. :D

I haven't touched the satellite since - and it works perfectly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.