1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hey DTV - Stop rebooting my DVR's!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by stik6873, Dec 2, 2011.

1. Dec 2, 2011 #1 of 28
    stik6873

stik6873 Cool Member

Nov 14, 2006
    For the 3rd time this month I have received a software download. I have external drives connected to my 2 HR24's. Only problem with this is every time a download occurs, my DVR's reboot and then my drives are not recognized upon the reboot and I miss recordings the next day. I have also had recordings interrupted due to this (software updates and DVR reboots even though it is in the middle of a recording.) WHY!!!!!! Didn't Microsoft come up with a way like 15 years ago to update software without having to reboot anything?!?!?!?

Sorry - just aggravated

2. Dec 2, 2011 #2 of 28
    dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    While I don't use external drives, this doesn't sound right. I don't believe a reboot should cause this issue. What drives are you using?

And there are quite a few patches Microsoft releases that requires a reboot. You could go to Dish, they reboot their boxes nightly :)

3. Dec 2, 2011 #3 of 28
    Mike_TV

Mike_TV Legend

Jan 17, 2006
    Really? Wow. Is that a band-aid for something that they can't/won't fix?

4. Dec 2, 2011 #4 of 28
    CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    What drives are you using? I've got externals on all mine and I or D* can reboot them anytime and the externals are ALWAYS recognized....are you using the any of the recommended drives.

5. Dec 2, 2011 #5 of 28
    dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    I believe originally it was due to some issues in the software several years ago. I believe they just kept it as a kind of maintenance thing. It probably does reduce certain issues. It's not supposed to happen when recordings will be affected, so most users probably don't even know it happens, except maybe for bedroom units.

6. Dec 2, 2011 #6 of 28
    texasbrit

texasbrit Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2006
    It's the way they refresh the guide data. You can select a time for it to happen.

7. Dec 2, 2011 #7 of 28
    CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    I'm sure it doesnt hurt performance-wise either. I routinely reboot once a week and I seem to have far far fewer issues than many of the posters on this site. And not to jinx myself, thats all I'm gonna say.

8. Dec 2, 2011 #8 of 28
    hasan

hasan Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Ogden, IA
    I would say about one out of four times, a reboot will result in my external drive not being recognized. It is in a Thermal....dock and is being used by at least 20 people on these forums (2 TB, btw).

This is on an HR20-700. I have had the same experience....updated software, reverted to internal drive, series links are completely different....missed recordings.

I just tell myself that eSATA is an unsupported feature.:)

Incidentally, I saw the exact same behavior on two different eSATA setups and two different HR20-700s, over the nearly five years I've had them.

9. Dec 2, 2011 #9 of 28
    RACJ2

RACJ2 Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    I was visiting my sister over the Holidays and they recently switched from Dish to DIRECTV. One thing that annoyed her husband was the reboot at 2 am. He works second shift and would come home to watch TV and it would reboot and then he would have to wait for the reboot to finish. He probably didn't know you could change the time on this or he would have.

10. TomCat

TomCat Broadcast Engineer

Aug 31, 2002
    3 software downloads doesn't sound right either--I get one about every 3 months, and those are reflected by the listing at the top of this forum. Why are you getting all of these downloads? The only reason that seems credible is that DTV is not getting an acknowledgement back that you are on the current OS, which is also a problem.

I would try changing the eSATA cable; that is the only problem I ever had with reboots not recognizing the x drive, I have had dozens of reboots since replacing those cables and none have resulted in non-recognition. The short stiff cheap eSATA cables don't seem all that hardy.

And there is a workaround; duplicate your SLs on the internal drive and you won't miss a recording.

11. fornold

fornold Legend

Sep 4, 2006
    As for the 3 downloads, I've had the same thing on my boxes. We had the Fall 2011 release and then there have been 2 maintenance releases since then. All different versions.

I have also had no issues with my external drive.

I just wish they would change the software so that the playlist order is preserved. Not that it is that hard to change it back to A-Z, it is an annoyance.

12. TomCat

Aug 31, 2002
    I generally stay in the "Newest" mode, which can also be an annoyance.

IMHO, a lot of these "annoyances" (which are in reality just dumb design choices) could be rectified by allowing us to "Smart Search" the list of current recordings.

But they have to do that right; instead of it listing every ep of a recorded show plus the folder it should just bring up the folder (or single ep) and allow you to manually go to the ep you want inside the folder without having to scroll through everything outside that folder first. Since they can't seem to rub enough brain cells together to keep "The" in show titles from pooling up in the "T's" during an alpha search, I am skeptical they could ever do this in a way that makes sense.

13. fornold

fornold Legend

Sep 4, 2006
    I agree the improper sorting with 'The' is another major annoyance.

14. TBoneit

TBoneit Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2006
    I always thought they did that as a preemptive type of thing.

15. TomCat

Aug 31, 2002
    They started doing it because they were so far underwater with bad code that they couldn't keep the phones from ringing off the hook. Their DVRs were junk back in the day, simply put, and compared to current DTV DVRs and Tivo, still are. Folks would wake up one morning to wiped hard drives on a regular basis. The last straw for me was that they could not even get the clock to work properly; after about a year and a half of trying to record programs on a DVR with a clock that was an hour off, and 8 years as a loyal customer, I dumped them for DTV and Tivo, and never looked back; best decision ever.

The obvious point here is that if you make the OS stable in the first place you don't have to compromise the system with preemptive workarounds.

It is possible to design stuff properly, it just is sadly kind of rare. I once ran my MacBook, which I schlep back and forth every day, for over 183 days without a reboot, and then finally rebooted (still running fine) only for a software update. Try that with Windows Vista.

16. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    It does seem over the past few weeks there have been more maintenance releases than normal, which don't usually show up on the forums like the main releases.

17. unixguru

unixguru Godfather

Jul 9, 2007
    I've had two different externals - Sans Digital and CalDigit - that have always been unrecognized after a software update reboot on two different HR20-700s.

When booted for any other reason they come back perfectly.

My theory is that the upgrade procedure sends some foul SATA command that messes up the external controller. My recovery process requires that I power cycle the external enclosure.

18. poppo

poppo Hall Of Fame

Oct 10, 2006
    Can't speek for Vista, but my XP 'server' box has been running 24/7 for 6 years. The only reboot has been when the power was out for an extnded period and the UPS finally died. This unit is off the Internet, so no need for updates.

19. Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    Are you sure it is installing? Sounds like it isn't. What is your current software version?

20. thumperr

thumperr Godfather

Feb 10, 2006
    There is always the ability to swap the internal drive out if you have the skill set.