1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hey! Is It Hotter Here?

Discussion in 'The OT' started by Drucifer, Nov 22, 2012.

1. Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    October Was 332nd Consecutive Globally Warm Month

[​IMG]

SOURCE

2. longrider

longrider Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Apr 21, 2007
    Elizabeth, CO
    I dont need a weather study to tell me that, here in the Denver area a cold front came through last night that dropped the forecast high 15 degrees. Now instead of being 20 degrees above average it will be only 5 degrees above. It warms back up tomorrow with the next cold front Monday with a chance of an inch of snow. Then Tuesday it is warm again. Snow has been non-existent, in October there was one storm with 2 - 4 inches then earlier this month we got an inch or two. An average November is just under a foot and we have had storms of almost 2 feet All the long term forecasts are for warmer than normal

3. bflora

bflora Legend

Nov 5, 2007
    Climate definitely needs to be studied. Climate change has been an ongoing fact in Earth's history. Things that need to be determined are is the climate change a negative thing in general and is there anything that humans can do about it if it is. I am not implying answers to these questions in any way, but we must be careful to use good science (ie. remain skeptical until the evidence is convincing) because all such issues of great importance have the obvious potential for abuses like seeking political power and personal gain. Hurricane Sandy is one of many examples of confusing weather with climate. Note that the usual suspects making the claims are heavily wedded to their conclusions for obvious reasons that go beyond detached analysis. Please don't slam me as a climate change doubter or believer as I am truly neither.

4. longrider

longrider Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Apr 21, 2007
    Elizabeth, CO
    My take on it is that there is no question the climate is getting warmer. However the Earth has warmed and cooled naturally long before man even existed so how can we claim with certainty that it is mans actions that is causing the warming? Even the issue of CO2 is not as simple as it looks. While there is no question burning fossil fuels produces CO2, how much of it is offset by things such as our obsession with planting trees and lawns where they would never grow naturally which pulls carbon out of the atmosphere and our controlling natural fires which reduces the natural release of CO2? I feel fairly certain the fires we have had in Colorado the last couple years would have consumed most of the state if not for the actions of man.

5. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    I do find it ironic though that the thread starter began two threads...

This one, which relies upon the intelligence of people to determine whether or not we are causing the current climate change... and the other thread which postulates that perhaps people are becoming dumber.

Those seem to be at odds... I mean, why would you trust scientific conclusions from a species you are also determining might be stupider?

6. Matt9876

Matt9876 Hall Of Fame

Oct 11, 2007
    Lets assume for a moment that the data is correct and things are getting hotter, I don't think the carbon tax/credit is the way to go because the carbon rich fuel still gets burned.

Instead have a international effort to capture carbon and store it as a solid in the ground and also support of clean energy systems based on hydrogen for cars and energy production.

I wonder if the experts feel we will ever have another ice age?

7. Drucifer

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    They have no idea what kicked off the last one.

8. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    I'm not completely sold on the "it is getting warmer" argument... but since I accept the earth has warmed and cooled several times over its history, I'm willing to accept that we could perhaps be in another warming cycle.

What remains to be proven to me are:

1. Are we substantially contributing the warming any moreso now than in the history of the planet?

2. Are any of the suggested "cures" anything other than knee-jerk reactions OR cash-grabs for new industry?

I'm all for recycling and not littering and certainly for not polluting and of course would love some alternate and clean sources of energy... but I'm not sure any of the proposed "solutions" to the "problem" are actually long-term better alternatives than what we are doing at the moment.

9. Drucifer

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    Cycles do happen. There are several know causes for the transition. Those are slow. Thousands of years enabling most species to adapt. But climatic history has also shown there been some rapid changes that have disastrous effects on planet life.

The current raise in temperature appears to many scientists to have gotten rapid since the start of the industrial age.

Is there a connection?