1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

hi-def indoor antenna. needed

Discussion in 'Local Reception' started by sportman18, Oct 25, 2004.

1. sportman18

sportman18 New Member

Aug 10, 2004
    Need a really good hi-def indoor antenna. Any suggestions?

2. Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt Your Neighborhood Liasion DBSTalk Club

Mar 23, 2002
  3. mwgiii

mwgiii Gaming Guru and Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jul 19, 2002
  4. William_K_F

William_K_F Legend

Apr 20, 2002
    I don't think there is anything that makes an antenna Hi-Def.

You just need a good antenna. Antennas work for either Hi-Def or
    Standard Def / Analog, it is the same as far as antennas go.

5. Nov 1, 2004 #5 of 11
    DarrellP

DarrellP Hall Of Fame

Apr 24, 2002
    Not according to a Best Buy salesman I spoke to. :lol: I argued with him for at least 30 seconds before I gave up and walked away. :mad: I'd been receiving HD for over 3 years and this jerk tried telling me I needed an "HD" antenna. :nono2: When I told him, "No, all you need is an everyday UHF antenna" he about went ballistic! J6P Salesman! :rolling:

6. Nov 7, 2004 #6 of 11
    openhouse

openhouse Legend

Jan 24, 2003
    Maybe u told him wrong, maybe u should of told him that all u need is a everyday, UHF/VHF antenna :)

7. Nov 7, 2004 #7 of 11
    openhouse

openhouse Legend

Jan 24, 2003
    first make sure at what power levels are the stations broadcasting at.

If the stations are broadcasting at low powers then u might need a Outdoor rooftop bigger antenna.

check the power levels here at http://www.100000watts.com/
    but it requires a paid subscription :rolleyes:

or u could wait until July 2005 when Stations are mandated by FCC to broadcast in full power :)

8. Nov 7, 2004 #8 of 11
    Ric

Ric Godfather DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 26, 2002
    Go to http://www.antennaweb.org/aw/welcome.aspx and check your stations. It will color code each station and the antenna should then match the colors(ie, for red and blue stations, make sure the antenna has those colors in its reception chart). Hopefully I am using the right terminology but it worked well for me. Just installed a Channel Master 4228 in my attic yesterday and antennaweb showed most of my stations were about 30 miles away. Picking everything up flawlessly as of last night.

9. bryan92

bryan92 Legend

Oct 30, 2003
    Is this the date give for the ones transmitting at low power? If so, has it changed again in the last month or so? :D
    Ive got this problem with 2 stations in Savannah (NBC and FOX).

10. guitardedboy

guitardedboy New Member

Jan 26, 2005
    I bought a Phillips Silver Sensor Antenna at WalMart for 27.88, it works like a charm, I get all my locals except UPN 53. And the HD comes in beautifully. Watched the AFC Champoinship game on CBS in pristine 1080 i, and it never pixelized or cut out once.

My television is on the second floor though

11. boylehome

boylehome Hall Of Fame/Supporter

Jul 16, 2004
    What makes an antenna a good HDTV antenna is its ability to reject multipath signals. thus it is more directional and rejects signal from its sides and back.