1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Hi lurker here...

Discussion in 'VoomTalk.Com (Closed Forum)' started by killah, Apr 23, 2005.

1. killah

killah New Member

Apr 23, 2005
    I have been a Voomer for 4 or so months and I am sad it's going away eventhough some signals are not converted. I have a question, if you are/were a Voomer too, where are you going to after this?

I am going with Dishnetwork. I pay the about the same as my Va Va Voom package, except I get more channels. The customer service person told me they bought the assets from Voom so they should be able to show the great original programming that Voom has, after it is approved by the FCC.

2. KingLoop

KingLoop Custom User Title DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 3, 2005
    E* CSRs will say anything to make stuff sound better to someone signing up. They are either grossly misinformed or liars. 1st the purchase of Voom's assets hasn't been approved by the FCC as yet. 2ndly, Charlie hasn't made any promises as to whether or not E* will carry any of Voom's "Original Programming". We'll see. Bottom line though, never trust ANYTHING an E* CSR tells you. The executives seem to be reliable most of the time though.

3. Richard King

Richard King Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Mar 25, 2002
    The customer service person has no idea of what he/she/it is talking about. The ONLY thing that Dish has purchased at this point is the satellite hanging out at 61.5 degrees and the up link located somewhere in South Dakota to feed that satellite. Voom had done nothing with the programming at this point and are exploring all options.

4. TNGTony

TNGTony Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Mar 23, 2002
    Richard, don't forget the 11 transponder licenses! That's the real sticking point with the FCC.

Anyway killah, as Richard and KingLoop said, Dish purchased the ASSETS and NOT the programming. The assets are the uplink center, satellite (Rainbow 1) and 11 transponder licenses at 61.5°. Nothing else.

During last month's Charlie Chat, CEO of Echostar Charlie Ergen mentioned they were looking at some programming, but nothing to report at the time. Also Dish is not really planning to add much HDTV at all until they convert to MPEG 4 later this year or early next year.

If the transition goes the way of the QPSK/8PSK format change, the new channels will require the new hardware available under different deals at reduced prices with varying commitments. The old programming will remain available with the old hardware for some time before the final switch-over.

See ya
    Tony

5. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    If you have cable with HD available, I'd go that way until D* or E* offer MPEG4 DVR units fer cheap. The reason that I recommend waiting is, assuming that you've never subscribed to E*, they may offer you an HD DVR at a very attractive price (like $400-500 off retail) when they become available. If you jump now, the upgrade offer may or may not be so tasty. Most cable companies will kill to get DBS subscribers and in most cases, you get a "bounty" without having to surrender any hardware. My local cable operator (Comcast) routinely offers Dish Network customers $400 in credits to "come back". They also aren't concerned about the "new subscriber" issue like the DBS companies.
    The FCC has little to say about non-broadcast services that the DBS people carry. This is what is classically called "disinformation".