1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hi, my name is H8tank. I own a Tivo.

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by H8tank, Aug 3, 2010.

1. Aug 3, 2010 #1 of 29
    H8tank

H8tank Cool Member

May 26, 2010
    Directv subscriber w/NFL ticket since 1999.

Early in the 2000's I got a tivo, and I will have to say it was the single greatest thing I had discovered up to that point in my sports viewing since I realized I loved football. How did I EVER live without the ability to record/pause/reply NFL games, AND TWO AT ONCE!!!!? I could never live without a DVR again.

Fast forward a few years, needed another DVR, Directv sent out one of their boxes, they were out of the tivo game. That thing was terrible. Luckily it died after a few weeks, so they sent us another. It looked like it had been dragged under a truck, beat to hell and ugly. Still as slow and clunky as ever, the menu's and day to day usage were terrible, that one died too, the 3rd one was just as bad. I sent it back and told them they could keep it, bought a 2nd tivo off ebay, installed a bigger harddrive and was doing good.

I was waiting for the vaunted vaporware HD Directv Tivo... spent all of the 2009 NFL season watching SD NFL on a 52" toshiba LCD... not pretty to say the least, but I knew the 2010 season would be HD Tivoriffic!

Fast forward to spring 2010, the HD directv tivo may or may not ever come to fruition... I need HD. So, since I hadn't gotten any new hardware since 2004, Directv was more than happy to set me up with free equipment and free install... but I was so darned worried about that crappy directv equipment from my experiences last time. I was totally and 100% happy with just about everything my tivo did, very apprehensive about the different menu's and operation of the dreaded HR2x's... of course reading here helped me to know I needed an HR24.

7 scheduled installs and 2 months later, the white van arrived Sat am with a new dish and a sealed HR24. Had to mount a pole out in the yard, run some new wire, setup the Hr24 and gave it a look see.

I was very pleased with the picture to say the least... the installer said I couldn't do two live programs, pause and switch, but you guys said I could... so I ushered the young man away and sat down to try this dreaded new thing out.

The whole point of this thread is to say one thing: I cannot believe how good this HR24 DVR is.

If anyone is sitting on the fence like I was, forget it. So far I haven't found anything I don't like about this new dvr, it is as good or better in every way compared to the tivo I had. I haven't had a chance to beat the hell out of it yet, that'll come in September, but so far... it is awesome.

I read a lot of threads here to get to this point, so thanks for the info. Everything is good. :)

2. Aug 3, 2010 #2 of 29
    dave29

dave29 New Member

Feb 18, 2007
    I am glad you are happy with your HR24, I know I am.

BTW, what is this "TiVo" you speak of? :p :lol:

3. Aug 3, 2010 #3 of 29
    dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Excellent. Have you figured out how to enable dual live buffers? Hit the down button on your remote twice to activate, then down to switch between. Remember that it turns itself off after a while of not being used.

4. Aug 3, 2010 #4 of 29
    spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    I jumped off that fence 4 years ago.

5. Aug 3, 2010 #5 of 29
    H8tank

H8tank Cool Member

May 26, 2010
    Oh yeah, I remembered something like that from reading here, it works good.

Really like how you can switch from recorded programs to live just by hitting the PREV button, very nice!

6. Aug 3, 2010 #6 of 29
    spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Yep, and automatically pauses.

7. Aug 3, 2010 #7 of 29
    john18

john18 Active Member

Nov 21, 2006
    :welcome_s to the forum.

It is refreshing to her a good story. I am sure that we are all pleased that everything is meeting or beating your expectations.

8. Aug 3, 2010 #8 of 29
    JACKIEGAGA

JACKIEGAGA N.Y. FOOTBALL GIANTS

Dec 11, 2006
    Long Island, NY
    Two 90 minute buffers

9. Aug 3, 2010 #9 of 29
    Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    You mean automatically unpauses.

10. matt

matt New Member

Jan 11, 2010
    When de-activating my old Series 2 CATV tuner Tivo yesterday the guy, who had the same first name as me, told me the D* Tivo would be out by the end of the year. I told him they have said that for years and he still told me it is coming at the end of this year. I know this post may sound like it belongs in the anticipation thread, I don't think it is ever coming, so I am not anticipating anything :p

11. dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
    Welcome! Refreshing to hear a positive story!

I jumped three years ago this September and sold my NFL season tickets the week after the first game in HD.

In that three years, I've certainly seen the HR series catch up and surpass Tivo. About the only thing I miss is the guide, but I don't use the on-screen guide that often with the iPhone scheduler.

12. smiddy

smiddy Tain't ogre til its ogre

Apr 5, 2006
    Welcome to the "fun side." :)

13. Joe C

Joe C Godfather

Mar 2, 2005
    I liked the Tivo better the the HR. They were faster then the HR22's that I have now. Also the Tivo could do everything the HR does except live TV in the menus.

14. Button Pusher

Button Pusher Icon DBSTalk Club

Jan 19, 2007
    The...
    Welcome from one Herd member to another! lol

15. Yoda-DBSguy

Yoda-DBSguy Hall Of Fame

Nov 4, 2006
    A Galaxy...
    And of course mpeg4, tv apps, mvr capability, video on demand, rf remote, etc.....

16. bidger

bidger Hall Of Fame

Nov 19, 2005
    No Free Space Indicator or choice of 30 sec. skip or slip (I prefer slip) either. I do like that the HR10 actually scanned for ATSC channels though.

17. JACKIEGAGA

Dec 11, 2006
    Long Island, NY
    Two 90 minute buffers a huge +

18. Joe C

Joe C Godfather

Mar 2, 2005

Tivos had dual buffers on all the time wich is way better then the way the HR does it and yes mine did 90 minutes also.

19. Joe C

Joe C Godfather

Mar 2, 2005
    Tivos did do MRV, Directv chose not to support it but the code was in the software, it worked and it worked well. I used it for serveral years over my wired network.

tvapps is a waste, very slow on my hr-22

The Tivo was never designed to do MPEG4

The RF remote would have been a good feature on the Tivo :grin:

20. JACKIEGAGA

Dec 11, 2006
    Long Island, NY
    My Tivo had two 30 minute buffers. When did Tivo get 90 minute buffers?