1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Higgs Boson Found?

Discussion in 'The OT' started by Inkosaurus, Jul 4, 2012.

1. Jul 4, 2012 #1 of 22
  2. Jul 4, 2012 #2 of 22
    AntAltMike

AntAltMike Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2004
    College...
    Blah, blah, blah. Physicists have been breaking their hands, patting themselves on the back for half a century or longer.

3. Jul 4, 2012 #3 of 22
    Carl Spock

Carl Spock Superfly

Sep 3, 2004
    Yeah, possibly discovering a fundimental particle from the birth of the universe isn't worth celebrating. :rolleyes:

Did Kim Kardashian do anything interesting today?

;)

Congrats, CERN. Rolling back this much entropy is quite an accomplishment.

4. Jul 4, 2012 #4 of 22
    njblackberry

njblackberry Icon

Dec 29, 2007
    Why should anyone be interested in basic research?
    Who could possibly benefit from ground breaking information?

Congratulations to all of those involved.

5. Jul 4, 2012 #5 of 22
    Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    According to TMZ, the Higgs Boson was detected in Kim K's well-visited secret place.

6. Jul 4, 2012 #6 of 22
    Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    You kill me Nick.

As for the LHC, Congrats at beating the U.S. team. Sometimes, bigger is better.

7. Jul 4, 2012 #7 of 22
    dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Right, and it was first predicted something like 40 years ago. It's an amazing thing, and a fundamental part of the standard particle physics model. If the Higgs boson didn't exist, that model would need to be thrown out or at least heavily edited. It's what gives everything mass, if I'm understanding it correctly. These are pretty heavy subjects, which is why I'm such a fan of Michio Kaku I think.

8. Jul 4, 2012 #8 of 22
    SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    Who says it's a 'fundamental particle'? Man?

Man though the atom was the fundamental particle. Then protons, neutrons and electrons. Then the Quark.

Man as a species has a very limited understanding of things and may never discover anything 'fundamental' about existence.

Things are because they are. There may not be an explanation at all. Only the human race needs to trivialize things into words.

9. Jul 4, 2012 #9 of 22
    dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    So what, we should just decide things are the way they are and just watch Snooki through our magic boxes? Might as well say, the apple falls but we don't care why. I'm glad Newton and his successors didn't do that.

10. njblackberry

njblackberry Icon

Dec 29, 2007
    Did Snooki do something with the Kardashian's or something? That WOULD have some gravity and mass! And someone dropped an Apple (iPhone?). That's huge news.

Leave the scientists alone.

11. Carl Spock

Carl Spock Superfly

Sep 3, 2004
    Those particles were fundamental in their times.

It's like getting the explanation as to how sex works. If when you were a child and you first asked about the "birds and bees", you got an answer from your parents that was appropriate for a child. When you became a teenager, you found answers that were age appropriate from your friends. And as an adult, you might have read a book with advice on sex that was appropriate to your understanding as an adult.

If we hadn't discovered the proton and electron, we couldn't have gotten to the quarks and the leptons. And if we didn't understand quarks, leptons and gauge bosons, we'd never get to the Higgs Boson.

You need to start with Dick, Jane and Spot to read Hemingway.
    Words do reduce things often to beyond what's desirable but if you don't know the right words, you can't even ask the right question. You're right: we may not ever know the fundamental nature of the universe but what we are doing now is developing the syntax to have the discussion.

12. wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose Hall Of Fame

Aug 16, 2006
    So - how does mankind benefit from this discovery?

13. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone DBSTalk Club

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    I don't know who this "Man" guy is, but he sounds like an idiot.

14. AntAltMike

AntAltMike Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2004
    College...
    Maynard Krebs knew him. So did Cheech and Chong.

15. Nick

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    Throughout human existence, when scientific discoveries are made, those that ridicule either don't understand them or fear them.

16. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Kaku says it could lead to the actual proof of dark matter, string theory up to evidence of a multiverse. Now, if your asking how it benefits every day life, I don't know if it does. But that shouldn't stop us.

17. Nick

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    Dark matter has a roof??? :eek: Who knew? :shrug:

18. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Dang it, I hate typos :)

But I'm wondering if these discoveries could help the average Joe in ways we don't know yet. Most people don't know the physics of how their cell phone works, and the original discoverers of radio waves certainly didn't see that application coming.

19. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Heck, I accept them but don't understand them. My real understanding of physics stops at Newton. Everything else at the theoretical level will elicit from me a "that's cool" like I have a PhD in Quantum Mechanics. But while I try to understand by reading books by guys like Hawking, my brain tends to shut down sometime before page 10.

I suppose that's because Newton and I were almost contemporaries. ;)

20. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...