1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

High speed internet

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by BWiggin, Dec 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dec 6, 2007 #1 of 26
    BWiggin

BWiggin Cool Member

Apr 25, 2007
    I haven't been on in a while, so please forgive me if this is an old topic. I had heard a while ago that Directv was going to start up their own high speed internet service. Is there any more info about when it may start, or about the price. Thanks.

Brian.

2. Dec 6, 2007 #2 of 26
    man00

man00 Cool Member

Feb 25, 2007
    Unless things has changed internet via dish is awful...use to be 169mb dowload limit.
    After you reached that limit..you would fall back to dialup speeds

3. Dec 6, 2007 #3 of 26
    sean10780

sean10780 Godfather

Oct 16, 2007
    Wasn't there something in the works about powerline internet?

4. Dec 6, 2007 #4 of 26
    Mike728

Mike728 Icon

Oct 29, 2007
    My parents only high speed option is HughesNet and they are very happy with it. It's not DSL or cable, but way better than dial-up.

5. Dec 6, 2007 #5 of 26
    Jon J

Jon J Grouch Extrordinaire

Apr 22, 2002
    Music City, USA
    Years ago there was a DirecTV ISP, the result of their taking over Telocity. When DirecTV decided to exit the ISP business they just kicked us to the curb, told us to find another provider and turned off the service.

6. Dec 6, 2007 #6 of 26
    iceburg02

iceburg02 AllStar

Sep 20, 2006
    I have HughesNet too and it's painfully slow, but as was mentioned above, it's better than my only other alternative which is dial-up.

The thread regarding DIRECTV getting back into the high speed internet game can be found here - http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=94862

7. Dec 6, 2007 #7 of 26
    Matt9876

Matt9876 Hall Of Fame

Oct 11, 2007
    Only consider sat internet after you have exhausted all other providers,DSL,Cable,WISP,Cellphone laptop cards are all better!:)

The 600-1600 MS delays,FAP and Equipment cost aren't worth it."Like fast dial up at most times, not real broad band at all, VOIP won't work and HTTPS is slower than dial up":nono2:

Hughesnet user for 2+ years and Wildblue installer.

EDIT: Best selling point for sat is that it doesn't tie up your telephone line.

8. Dec 6, 2007 #8 of 26
    1948GG

1948GG Icon

Aug 4, 2007
    The wide differences in infrastructure throughout the US make it difficult if not impossible to 'cut a deal' with any one potential/possible internet provider. The problems/constrictions with satellite IP delivery are well known; even advanced techniques like those used with HughesNet and the somewhat abortive Ka-band Spaceway electronically steered beams was 'before it's time' which is why the first 2 sats got swept up by DirecTV's DBS television broadcasting.

So, it's become a bit of a 'local realities' where partnerships with telcos, other wireline providers, and even powerline companies have resulted in a mish-mash of ways to provide the services.

However, the initial reasonings to provide an answer to the cablecos 'triple-play' has abated somewhat, as newer figures are showing that the consumer adoption of those bundles has, in fact, but much lower than initially reported, and 'churn' has been extremely high as consumers, after signing up for 'initial' deals, come to grips with the actual costs, and find out that putting together their own mix results in much lower costs than 'bundling', not to mention much higher usability and programming choices than the cablecos offering.

Put together your own 'package', might be the answer of the day. Local conditions still apply.

9. Dec 6, 2007 #9 of 26
    Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    That would be for getting service throughout the house, not from the ISP.

10. rotomike

rotomike Legend

Feb 24, 2007
    I disagree!! I have hughesnet and am a hughesnet and wildblue installer and way better then dial-up. I used to have dial up and no comparison. nascar.com would take 1 minute with dial up versus 8 seconds with hughesnet and the secure sites are extremely slow with wildblue but not with hughesnet. i go to secure sites all the time with no problem at all. i am very happy with hughesnet. Worth every penny and i would have spent a grand on it. I agree to try everything else first but dont be afraid to go with hughesnet.

mike

11. BNUMM

BNUMM Hall Of Fame

Dec 23, 2006
    There are a few ISP that send signal over power lines to the home. I believe there is one in Cincinnati, Ohio. Also, there are two starting up in Michigan. One is a small coop in SW Michigan. The other is near Lansing, Michigan. The second one is not being run by the power company, but the power company is leasing their lines to someone. This one would be interesting because the power company covers the majority of the lower peninsula of Michigan.

12. kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte New Member

Dec 19, 2006
    Outside...
    It's better than dial up, but I even remember Charlie Ergen (Dish Network) saying once that if you had DSL or cable internet available, take it instead of satellite. Startup costs and montly fees are massive when compared to DSL and cable, the speed is slower, and you have what they call "Fair Access Policy," which somebody already mentioned before-if you hit a preset limit while downloading, (169mb?! I could hit that in MINUTES), you drop down to dial up speed.

13. homerdodge

homerdodge New Member

Sep 9, 2007
    Phillipsburg...
    We have had HughesNet (originally Direcway) for several years, originally as a replacement for our 1-way cable broadband service (telephone upload). It was a big improvement over the 1-way cable.

Then Verizon came out with a DSL service solution that can function beyond the standard distance from the CO. Now the HughesNet serves as our backup for whenever the DSL data connectivity goes out, which is pretty much whenever there's significant lightening in the area. The extended DSL data transmission is very susceptible to the static charge in the air apparently and can go out for several minutes or longer, depending. The DSL dial tone is not affected, only the data transmission. HughesNet can't support the VOIP lines though.

Of course, if the lightening is accompanied by a heavy rain, then we stand a chance of losing both the DSL and the HughesNet internet connections for a time. Usually the HughesNet will be back first, once the leading edge of the heaviest rain reaches us. Once we're in the heavy rain it typically recovers. Actually, it and the DirecTv have always served as good indicators of when a heavy rain is approaching, several minutes before it reaches us.

14. MeSue

MeSue Legend

Oct 7, 2007
    FL
    Had Wildblue for 15 months of hell, then HughesNet for 5 months of purgatory. Then last May I was able to get DSL and I'm in HEAVEN, despite the hefty early termination fee.

If satellite is the only "high speed" you can get, though, I definitely would recommend HughesNet over Wildblue.

15. FHSPSU67

FHSPSU67 CE'er & Retired Engineer DBSTalk Club

Jan 12, 2007
    Windber, PA
    Yep, it's called BPL (Broadband over Power Line). Last I heard it's having lots of problems. I think of the RF interference type.

16. SParker

SParker Active Member

Apr 27, 2002
    Also check for WISP (wireless internet service providers) in your area. Thats what I've used for several years now and its not too bad.

17. BNUMM

BNUMM Hall Of Fame

Dec 23, 2006
    Ham radio operators say that it causes problems but high voltage power lines cause RF interference even without BPL. I used to work for a large power company and I know they would not lease the lines if it would create problems.

18. txtommy

txtommy Icon

Dec 30, 2006
    Hughesnet is fine if you use it primarily for email, news, forums and normal internet pages. It sucks if you want to download music, videos, software or play online games. The FAP will cut you down in short order. If you go over 400mb in any 24 hour period, you might as well turn off the computer for the next 24.
    Unfortunately I live in an area where the only two options are dial-up or satellite.

19. BNUMM

BNUMM Hall Of Fame

Dec 23, 2006
    I second that. I have been using a WISP for about three years and it is great. I had Starband before that. Starband was better than dialup but not much. Faster speeds but less reliable.

20. photostudent

photostudent Godfather

Nov 8, 2007
    WISP (wireless internet service providers) is very good and reasonably priced here, (Clearwire). However they lease from cell towers and cater to high density use areas. It is not available 5 miles out of town where my son lives so does not help most people who do not already have an alternative. I think we need something like the Rural Electrafication Act to get universal broadband, or the US is going to keep dropping behind other countries.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.