1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

History Channel looks bad

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by toobs, Jan 30, 2013.

1. toobs

toobs Legend

Oct 10, 2012
    I don't know if I need an new TV or if anyone else has been noticing this, but the History Channel in HD looks really bad recently. Most of their shows like Pawn Stars, Top Gear, American Pickers, has a reddish dark tint to them. It's almost too bad to watch. When they go to commercials, they look so much better than the shows.

Has anyone else been noticing this on the History Channel?

All other channels looks fine.

2. fleckrj

fleckrj Icon

Sep 4, 2009
    Cary, NC
    Of the shows you mentioned, American Pickers is the only one I have watched. I have not noticed any problems with that show on any of my TVs. Given the nature of the show, lighting is not always optimal, but I have never thought it to be almost too bad to watch. I think that has more to do with the filming of the show than the HD broadcast quality on DirecTV. It is difficult to get lights into some of the places that Mike and Frank go. If it was a problem with History Channel or DirecTV, then the commercials would not be any better than the shows.

3. toobs

toobs Legend

Oct 10, 2012
    I never thought about lighting issue. Maybe they changed something in production or maybe I just need to get an new tv :). All other channels looks fine.

4. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    It is important to check that nothing has changed with the TV configuration. Sometimes pushing a mode button will shift from a pleasing mode to one that isn't well suited to regular television viewing (game mode versus movie mode).

It is possible that the content is not entirely compatible with DIRECTV's proprietary proc amp "profiling" that it uses to make a "better" picture. Gamma correction that usually improves luminance pop and makes content more compressible may have the threshold set too high and darker scenes are getting dimmed.

5. Delroy E Walleye

Delroy E Walleye AllStar

Jun 9, 2012
    American Restoration marathon (Wed. eve) looked ok to me, but then most of that show appears to be shot outside in the sunlight.

6. Jimmy 440

Jimmy 440 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2007
    Monmouth...
    I watch the History Channel often & I didn't notice any issues with it.

7. Feb 4, 2013 #7 of 15
    ken100

ken100 AllStar

Feb 1, 2013
    looks fine here.

8. Feb 4, 2013 #8 of 15
    Delroy E Walleye

Delroy E Walleye AllStar

Jun 9, 2012
    Referring to the original post, I did notice a crummy reddish dark tint when the Pawn Stars did their Turbo Tax commercial segment.

9. Feb 4, 2013 #9 of 15
    toobs

toobs Legend

Oct 10, 2012
    Yes, usually when they are in the back room, when they are sitting down and doing one and one with the camera, it looks like the reddish dark tint on Pawn Stars.

10. TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol Hall Of Fame

Oct 1, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    I'm watching Top Gear right now and it does have a red tint to it.

11. toobs

toobs Legend

Oct 10, 2012
    I really thought that I need to get my eyes check out. Tonight, there is an new Pawn Stars. It will be interesting to see if they corrected the problem.

12. bikenski

bikenski Cool Member

May 25, 2010
  13. toobs

toobs Legend

Oct 10, 2012
    I watched Pawn Stars last night. The first new episode looked fine, but the second episode looked darker than the first. It could be a post production problem. Maybe they are working in Canada.

14. fluffybear

fluffybear Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    Went back and looked at my recording of Pawn Stars from last evening and both episodes looked just fine..

15. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    Watching the 2nd episode and when Chum called in there was a weird tint.