1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Hitachi Touro Desk 2TB HDD and ViP612

Discussion in 'ViP612/622/722/722K DVR Support Forum' started by EdN, Aug 29, 2012.

1. EdN

EdN Mentor

May 5, 2007
    I can't get a Hitachi Touro Desk 2TB external HDD to format for a ViP612. When I enter Menu--> Multimedia--> My Media--> Manage Device it asks me to format the attached USB device. When I press "yes" it proceeds to format the drive and when finished returns me to the last channel I was on. There were no error messages and everything seemed to work. When I now go back to Menu--> Multimedia--> My Media--> Manage Device it asks me to do it all over again! What is going on?

2. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    Mediterranea...
    Do a test on a PC - format it as NTFS and write a few big files (> 1 GB).

3. MikeL DISH

MikeL DISH DISH Representative DISH Representative

Dec 28, 2010
    Does the external hard drive have its own power supply? External hard drives must have their own power supply. They must have a single-tier enclosure and a 50GB-2TB hard drive. It's supposed to be a 2.0 USB compatible. A 3.0 might work, depending on the firmware.

4. EdN

EdN Mentor

May 5, 2007
    Hi MikeL,
    Yes, it's a single tier 2TB with a separate power supply, and 3.0/2.0 compatible according to the specs on the box. I had the same model previously working on a ViP211.

5. Ray C@DISH Network

Ray C@DISH Network DISH Representative DISH Representative

Dec 28, 2010
    Please unplug the EHD from the receiver, unplug the receiver for 10 seconds from the electrical outlet, and plug the receiver back into the outlet. Once the reboot process has completed, plug the EHD into the USB port and let the receiver reformat the EHD. Please let me know if you have continued issues with the EHD. Thanks.

6. EdN

EdN Mentor

May 5, 2007
    Hi Ray,
    I did exactly what you suggested. Everything went smoothly and I was returned to my program. Unfortunately when I now enter Menu--> Multimedia--> My Media--> Sent To Device it comes back and asks me to reformat again!!!

7. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    Mediterranea...
    Rinse, repeat ... up to its acceptance :D

Post the magical number of loops here - for your followers. ;)

8. EdN

EdN Mentor

May 5, 2007
    I went through 3 iterations. It still wants to reformat. Each iteration took 6 minutes including restarting.
    Forget it. :)

9. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    Mediterranea...
    I got same experience when I used 64 GB USB flash for Hopper. One difference is after three attempts it was formatted and I did move one recording (lucky, heh !). Since that the stick has no meaning for h2k - inserting is silent, removing - with a warning, DVR not see it. :(

10. Jim5506

Jim5506 Hall Of Fame

Jun 7, 2004
    Does the 6 minutes sound like too little time for the unit top be totally formatting that drive, after all it is 2TB?

I have no reference point, it's been several years since I installed my 250 GB drives and it seemed like it took longer, maybe I forget.

11. Grandude

Grandude RichardParker II

Oct 21, 2004
    That is exactly what I would do. It needs to be verified that the drive is OK.
    If it passes that test, I would suspect that the Dish receiver is not formatting it properly.

I would then try formatting it on another Dish receiver, even a friends if I didn't have another one of my own. If it passes that test, then you can assume that the drive is OK and your receiver is at fault.