1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hockey Night in Canada HD question

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by bosco10021, Dec 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dec 8, 2007 #1 of 36
    bosco10021

bosco10021 Icon

Apr 16, 2006
    Tonight I see that NESN has the Bruins / Toronto game in HD (originating from the Air Canada Centre).

My question to Directv / Satelliteracer is, if NESN is able to get an HD feed out of Toronto for broadcast to Directv why can't Directv get the Hockey Night in Canada games in HD?

If a RSN can do, it it seems like Directv should be able to do it .

Well ???

2. Dec 8, 2007 #2 of 36
    Mocco71

Mocco71 Godfather

Jan 13, 2007
    Would love to know, but I think that Satracer gave up on us. Would also like to see the Pens/Canucks game in HD, but FSN-Pitt is not picking up the HD feed from Canada like Boston did.

3. Dec 9, 2007 #3 of 36
    wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose Hall Of Fame

Aug 16, 2006
    Mocco - he didn't give up on us.

4. Dec 9, 2007 #4 of 36
    n3ntj

n3ntj Hall Of Fame

Dec 18, 2006
    Lancaster,...
    You are talking about two totally different production/distribution methods here, Bosco.

NESN was doing their own HD production to broadcast from Toronto back to Boston. D* then picks up NESN HD's feed and provides to it us. NESN was NOT using the CBC video.

The CBC HD feed is done via fibre optic only to Toronto, Montreal, and a few other larger cities for OTA broadcast/cable TV in those cities.

(1.) D* would either need to pick that feed up via antenna in the Buffalo/Niagara or Detroit region (from the Toronto or Windsor CBC HD affiliates) and uplink it so we could see it, or

(2.) get CBC to uplink their HD feed via satellite for D* to get it or allow D* to grab the fibre feed within Canada and uplink it. The 2nd option would be very costly. Due to the way that CBC provides the HD feed currently within Canada, I think it will be some time until we see CBC HNIC HD feeds. In other words, once CBC starts providing the HD feed to more parts of Canada, it will probably be done via satellite, which in turn D* can more easily grab and provide to us for NHL CI.

The question about FSN Pittsburgh's Pens/Canucks game is different. FSN Pittsburgh, like most RSNs, produce only HOME games in HD (some do ALL home games in HD and some only do SOME home games in HD). Best guess is that it is a money issue... getting the HD production equipment to an out of town game and sending the HD feed back home isn't cheap. NESN does do just about all (if not all) home and away Bruins games in HD. They seem to be the exception for most RSNs currently. I look forward to the day that MSG and FSN NY do away games (outside the NY metro area, in other words, not b/w the 3 NY area NHL teams) in HD.

5. Dec 9, 2007 #5 of 36
    TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol Hall Of Fame

Oct 1, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    I wonder how the 2 Candian satellite companys get their CBC HD feeds then, via fiber or OTA?

I think once FSN gets their uplink center in Houston upgrade project done we'll hopefully see more away games in HD.

6. Dec 9, 2007 #6 of 36
    iceturkee

iceturkee DINFOS Trained Killer DBSTalk Club

Apr 1, 2007
    daytona...
    you guys really want to see don cherry in glorious HD? catch the suit he was wearing saturday night.....even gaudy by his standards? i nearly threw up just seeing it in SD, not real sure i could handle HD!

7. Dec 9, 2007 #7 of 36
    Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer Hall Of Fame

Dec 6, 2006
    How did HNIC go last night...any interruptions?

8. Dec 9, 2007 #8 of 36
    JMartinko

JMartinko Legend

Dec 16, 2006
    I didn't see any, it seemed like it went OK, but I think I read in one of the threads that someone saw an interruption between games 1 and 2. I watched 'some' of the between game show and didn't see a problem, but I didn't have it on the entire time, maybe someone else saw it and can report. It was always on when I switched to watch it, but I didn't see the first 10 minutes of the second game so I could have missed something. I did watch most of the post game show after the Vancouver game and D* stayed with the feed the entire time. There was a great interview with Sidney Crosby on the aftergame show which was well worth watching. Thanks to D* for letting us watch that.

9. Dec 9, 2007 #9 of 36
    joebbaseball

joebbaseball Legend

Aug 25, 2005
    I watched 95% of it, didn't see any problems. Watched the whole broadcast between games, no interuptions. Hopeing this will be a good sign of things to come.
    Joe

10. Oilfan

Oilfan Godfather

Jul 18, 2004
    Directv has access to SNET HD, TSN HD, and CBC HD without using fiber.

11. CKNAV

CKNAV Godfather

Dec 26, 2005
    Actually fiber is cheaper then satellite. There are very few backhaul feeds on satellite. 90% of backhaul feeds are done on fiber. The biggest problem is the availability. These fibers are used all the time. You have to book it well in advance.
    The only other RSN that does all the games in HD is YES network. They do Yankees and Nets games. I know they had to book fiber for 2008 Yankee season early this year, before even 2007 season started. They do not have any hockey however.

12. CKNAV

CKNAV Godfather

Dec 26, 2005

Please stop. You have no idea, how professional transmission is done. You can't use BEV or Starchoice feeds. They need to be clean feeds. Not overcompressed consumer feeds.

13. CKNAV

CKNAV Godfather

Dec 26, 2005

Canadian Sat companies get their feeds on fiber.

14. Oilfan

Oilfan Godfather

Jul 18, 2004
    Clean feeds like those on CanCom or clean like those on ku band such as today's Calgary-Chicago SNET WEST HD (which as an aside looked like ****) game and every and I mean every SNET HD game has been on this year?

Or clean OTA feeds like CBC HD that are available cross border?

Also, are you implying that InDemand, Dishnetwork, and Directv get Canadian SD feeds including ppv via fiber?

I may not know much, but I know some.

15. bwaldron

bwaldron Impossible Dreamer

Oct 24, 2005
    True, though it should be noted that the sat feeds used by Star Choice on the Anik birds are used as a source by many Canadian cable companies.

16. MrMars

MrMars AllStar

Apr 10, 2007
    Cancom (Starchoice) is the "master feed" for alot of Canadian cable stations, including TSN & Rogers Sportsnet.

Rogers Sportsnet HD is also distributed via satellite.

17. turbo_oasis

turbo_oasis Legend

Jan 4, 2007
    I saw the HNIC broadcast last night (Saturday Night) in whelming SD....and if my TV had to show Don Cherry's coat in HD it wouldda blew up.

18. CKNAV

CKNAV Godfather

Dec 26, 2005
    What I mean by clean feeds is a backhaul high bitrate feed.
    Most feeds that US sat companies get are on fiber. HD clean feeds account for about 90% and SD feeds about 80%. Also almost 100% sports seen in NA from Europe come thru transoceanic fiber. They very rarely use satellite.

19. Oilfan

Oilfan Godfather

Jul 18, 2004
    Ya, the ku band SNET HD feeds would qualify as clean in that case by that definition. DTV uses OTA source for many of its locals I believe.

As Mars said, CanCom(SC) is the first generation feed for many providers.

I think we are closer to being on the same page than you think.

20. CKNAV

CKNAV Godfather

Dec 26, 2005

D* uses OTA only for back up for locals. They always try to have direct links from the stations. IF SC is the feed for some providers, then I would rather stay with SD, because another level of compression would make it look horrible. D* feeds for RSN's are all pretty much coming on fiber, except few that have high data rate on satellite.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.