1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Holding Jack Ryan to a different standard

Discussion in 'The OT' started by James_F, Jun 23, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. James_F

James_F Damn you woman! DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 23, 2002
    We've touched on this subject in a couple threads, but I figured we'd break it out.

While most Republicans seemed ready to impeached for having sex with an intern, they seem to defend their own who pressured his wife, despite her protestations, to have sex with him in front of other people.

According to Sen. George Allen
    Phyllis Schlafly
    Sen. Peter Fitzgerald
    And of course, Bill O'Reilly
    Lastly, Jack Ryan
    Too bad Clinton wasn't a Republican. With these kinds of friends, he wouldn't have had anything to worry about.

2. JM Anthony

JM Anthony Child of the 60's DBSTalk Gold Club

Nov 16, 2003
    Just for grins, I looked up the phrase "double standard" in my trusty Funk and Wagnals. No surprise, they had a picture of an elephant next to it.

3. Mike123abc

Mike123abc Hall Of Fame/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jul 19, 2002
    I have seen people accused of all sorts of stuff in divorces. It is really hard to tell how accurate any of it is, especially if there are children involved and there is a fight over custody.

4. Richard King

Richard King Hall Of Fame

Mar 25, 2002
    Not to defend Jack of these unproven allegations, but I wonder if he lied while under oath in front of a grand jury.

5. mainedish

mainedish Hall Of Fame

Mar 25, 2003
    But Clinton was not impeached for having sex with a intern in the oval office.

He was impeached on charges of perjury and obstruction of justice.

Where did Jack Ryan break the law?

I know Clinton did not like what was happening to him but if he had told the truth none of this would have ever happened. No matter what you think you have to tell the truth under oath. Martha Stewart found that out.

Remember how the democrats were shocked at hearing the audio tapes of Nixon swearing in the Oval Office?

6. Steveox

Steveox Banned User

Apr 21, 2004
    Like rush limbaugh said. If a republican president did this kind of scandel congress and the senate would impeach him fully. Nixon was a disgrace to our nation but the republicans told him they could not protect him so nixon resigned. On the other hand the liberal democrats think its ok for liberals to lie under oath, Its ok to cheat on your wife and its ok to abuse women. So if republicans dont support their own to do this kind of scandels i think now republicans should change their stand and protect the next republican president who commits such of immorial scandel.

7. mainedish

mainedish Hall Of Fame

Mar 25, 2003
    Rush Limbaugh is history .

8. James_F

Apr 23, 2002
    No where are we talking about perjury here. If Clinton was morally unfit to be president, why isn't the same to be true for Ryan?

9. JM Anthony

JM Anthony Child of the 60's DBSTalk Gold Club

Nov 16, 2003
    Steveox - I'm sure even you can see the see the differences between Nixon's cocnduct and that of Clinton. As a husband and father, I don't think anyone can defend Clinton's actions. Hell, he doesn't even try to. Those actions put his marriage at risk. Nixon's actions in the Watergate scandal truly put the presidency at risk.

10. Steveox

Steveox Banned User

Apr 21, 2004
    No hes not.Hes still on the air.

11. jonstad

jonstad Hall Of Fame

Jun 27, 2002
    FYI, the ex-Mrs. Ryan is Jeri Ryan(I think that's her stage name too). "The Borg" from the last Star Trek. Frankly, if she were my wife, I might get a little kinky too.:p

12. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    The issue that they're talking about in the news is that Ryan said that he wanted to keep the court papers sealed to protect sensitive information in it about their son, who's learning disabled. Folks aren't really upset back here about the sex thing, they're upset about him making it all seem like it was about the kid and not protecting his a**. The Illiniois republicans are not at all happy with him and it's expected that on Friday the state party will pull their endorsement of Ryan. That doesn't mean that he's pulled from the ballotm, just that he's lost the official party backing, he'd have to pull himself off the ticket and as of last night he said he was in it to the end (which means he'll be gone this weekend).

13. Geronimo

Geronimo Native American Potentate DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 23, 2002

I don'tt hink that I would visit one of those clubs under any circumstances. But if I were married to that lady I cant imagine that I would need any additional partners.

14. SAEMike

SAEMike Banned User

May 29, 2004
    Imagine all you may have learned had you actually read the impeachment report. Clinton was impeached for 1. Perjury and 2. Obstruction of justice.

Neither of those are having sex with an intern. They are exactly what they say they are, perjury and obstruction of justice.

15. James_F

Apr 23, 2002
    OK. What is your point? He was called morally unfit because of his sex romps, WAY before the impeachment. How can Clinton smoking a cigar be any different than Ryan bonking his wife in front of 30 people?

16. bnaivar

bnaivar Cool Member

May 11, 2004
    What's not being mentioned in this story is that Ryan's now ex-wife is Jerri Ryan who played Seven-of-Nine on Star Trek Voyager. I guess he just wanted to "Boldy go where no man has gone before". :D

17. Richard King

Richard King Hall Of Fame

Mar 25, 2002
    Somehow, I just couldn't see this happening if he were running for the position with the endorsement of the "other" party. There would be rallies on the Capitol steps in support. They would simply call this an example of "diversity" and "tolerance". :lol:

18. RichW

RichW Hall Of Fame/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 29, 2002
    I would have to agree with your here. Dems seem to be more "liberal" when it comes to sexual issues, whereas the GOP is far more tolerant of shady financial deals. In either case, someone gets screwed :lol: and the common standard is simply "Don't get caught".

19. Geronimo

Geronimo Native American Potentate DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 23, 2002
    I would expect a lot of pressure on Ryan to get out of the race. We may not see or hear about it all but his party will doubtless do as much as possible behind the scenes.

20. markh

markh Hall Of Fame

Mar 24, 2002
    Yeah, but it's not the other party that's slamming him. I have a feeling this came up in the divorce to make him look bad in front of the court. After all, isn't that what divorce court is all about? If she didn't make him look like a pervert, why was she getting the divorce? If the papers were sealed, they should never been opened, both sides must have agreed to it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.