1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Home come this is working

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by peds48, Jun 9, 2013.

1. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    So I went to an upgrade to find the splitter picture below being used as a barrel. I ask the customer how long was they spitter there, they said for a long time. They installed it to extend the cable because they moved the furniture around. My next question obviously was if they had any issues, to my surprised, they said no.

So I ask myself, how come the receiver was working with this POS splitter. This particular customer had an 18x20 dish with 4 SD receivers. no switch or anything. coax from the dish to the output of this splitter, the input was connected to the D12 satellite input. yes after all, it was installed backwards!!!!!!!

ImageUploadedByDBSTalk1370826820.452228.jpg

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

2. gov

gov Legend

Jan 11, 2013
    Just guessing, but maybe the LNB 13/18VDC fried it to a 'shorted' condition? (if it was not already a DC passing splitter)

Bandwidth for SD is less than an HD setup, and if the cable run to the dish wasn't too long, the extra attenuation through the splitter didn't affect the D12 too much.

Ask customer if that unit was worse about rain fade than the rest of their receivers.

Also, forwards or backwards wouldn't have made much difference to the loss though the splitter. It's also possible the customers never did a thorough look through all the channels that receiver was picking up, there might have been some blocks of channels not making it through the obstacle course, but if they never watched them they wouldn't have missed them.

I saw a homemade splitter several years ago on an NTSC system, they were near the transmitter, so the (my guess) extra 20dB loss didn't matter to their TVs.

3. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    This is the inside of this sucker. I was under the impression that signal traveled on the dielectric, if so, there is none there....lol

ImageUploadedByDBSTalk1370831179.435826.jpg

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

4. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    When I was troubleshooting some issues I found that 3 of the 4 splitters splitting my SL5 coaxes were ordinary cable splitters that said "900 MHz" on them. They didn't look as rough as this, but they certainly weren't what you were supposed to use. Nevertheless the splitters functioned perfectly.

I have a feeling there's no difference between many cable and satellite splitter lines, other than replacing the "900 MHz" with "2150 MHz" or "1 GHz" with "3 GHz", and of course charging more for it! With splitters there may be some difference in some cases, or at least better QC testing. That may justify paying extra, moreso than crap like cables "sweep tested" to 3GHz or barrel connectors with blue inserts :)

5. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    But at least our splitters have some kind of circuit board in them

6. bigglebowski

bigglebowski Legend

Jul 27, 2010
    With splitters input and output generally dont have a direction in relation to (input to output) or (output to input) particularly when its just one input and one output like your scenario. Going from output to output would be problematic as these connections are the most isolated from each other, the better quality the device the more isolation. When a splitter is used as a splitter you would go input to output. But if you were using it as a combiner (assuming you are not using conflicting frequencies) it would go output to input.

7. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    Also in a related matter that could be the cause of this;

While I still don't really understand it myself, on another thread (don't recall which at the moment) a legacy voltage/tone multiswitch was found to generate an odd or even transponder set on a specific output without a 13/18 DC control voltage/tone applied to it from a receiver.

The way it was explained in the other thread is that if a given output port on a multiswitch is terminated, by say a non-power passive splitter or some other, yet with no input control voltage/tone then the control voltage/tones on other switch inputs can actually cause a given transponder set to appear on the output of an unused but terminated port.

I always thought with no control voltage/tone input there can be no output on legacy multiswitches regardless of any termination, but apparently not.

Go figure ...