1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Home Depot or Lowes

Discussion in 'The OT' started by James_F, Oct 19, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. James_F

James_F Damn you woman! DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 23, 2002
    I just went to my first Lowe's today (new store just opened). I don't get it. I thought they would be different from Home Depot. I don't really care for them. Maybe you get used to the organization, but I just don't see it. Why waste all that space on appliances? I went in for wallpaper for the nursery and it took me all day to find the wallpaper section. It was 25% of the size of the one in Home Depot. My Home Depot is open 24 hours, but is two miles away. I'm going to be driving right past the Lowe's and continue on to Home Depot since I can't figure out why these things are successful. Oh well, I guess it does keep prices down.

2. Richard King

Richard King Hall Of Fame

Mar 25, 2002
    We have both HD and Lowes within two blocks of eachother here (and both built in the last 3 years). Each seems to have areas that are better than the other. My microwave broke a few nights ago, so I decided to go shopping. First (as usual) I went to HD. Theree I found a very small selection of mostly built in type MW's starting at close to $200. Since the one that died was a counter top model, none of these would do. I then proceeded two blocks down the street to Lowes where I found a MUCH wider selection and ended up with one for under $90 (just barely). When looking for floor tile, I usually find the best bargains at Lowes also. For most other items I usually end up at HD.

3. The Tophinator

The Tophinator AllStar

May 13, 2002
    I have both in my area. Each one has good and bad points. The Lowes is newer but HD is closer. This is a list of some of the things I have bought lately.
    HD - Rollup Garage Door, Gas BBQ, 300' 3" molding, 3/4" Oak Plywood, Many Sprinkler parts including 5 Valves, Paint brushes , tray linersand rollers, Lawn Mower, Cordless Drill, Skill Saw, Table Saw, Dremel Drill, Oak 1 x 6 and trim for fireplace mantle, plants and pine trees

Lowes - Insulation 1: styrafoam for Garage Door, 5 Boxes of Slate tile for fireplace

Kmart - 13 Gallons Dutch Boy Paint

This is just an example but I have spent way more at HD since it is closer and has been around here longer. If Lowes has a better product or is less costly for a simular product, they get my money. I have used HD and Lowes paint before but when I sold my condo and bought the cheapest paint aroud I went to Kmart and bought Dutch Boy. It blew away all others in quality and consistantsy and is about half the price. I now buy it for all my interior painting which I am currently painting my living room a nice dark red ( terra tone ).

4. James_F

Apr 23, 2002
    I've always heard Lowes is cheaper, but I guess I don't really care about cost unless its huge. I'd give up 5-10% savings to have a positive shopping environment. Maybe even more. Thats why I don't go to Wal-Mart or K-Mart. I could care less if they are cheaper than Target/Home Depot. I just can't stand either of them. Now I know I'm in the minority here, but its just how I feel. Wal-Mart is the worst store experience in the world. I don't have to worry about K-Mart anymore since the closed all the stores near me.

5. navy8ball

navy8ball Legend/Supporter

Mar 23, 2002
    the lighting in the home depot store is dim and depressing thats why i go to lowes.

6. James_F

Apr 23, 2002
    See I though the opposite. Lowes doesn't feel like a hardware store IMO.

Who know, maybe its just I'm not used to the way Lowes does things and I'll get on board. I'm just really surprised because I had heard that Lowes was such a great store and I just don't see it. Why have loads of outdoor furniture if its all crappy aluminum stuff?

Another thing, would it kill Lowes to put a couple of drought tolerant plants in? I don't live in a rainy climate, but the plant selection was all high water requirements. I asked the "clerk" and he said that was what Lowes ships them... Not a good answer in my book. Don't these guys know that ferns don't do well in 115 degree weather? Where the hell do I plant that? Even inside my house a fern wouldn't survive! :nono:

7. John Corn

John Corn Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2002
    For me it's Home Depot, it's just closer to me. I just haven't visited Lowe's enough to give an honest opinion.

8. MarkA

MarkA God Bless America! DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 23, 2002
    "Kmart - 13 Gallons Dutch Boy Paint

This is just an example but I have spent way more at HD since it is closer and has been around here longer. If Lowes has a better product or is less costly for a simular product, they get my money. I have used HD and Lowes paint before but when I sold my condo and bought the cheapest paint aroud I went to Kmart and bought Dutch Boy. It blew away all others in quality and consistantsy and is about half the price. I now buy it for all my interior painting which I am currently painting my living room a nice dark red ( terra tone )."

I agree, the Dutch Boy paint is great paint. But K-Mart is clueless about how to mix paint. That's why it has to be one of the paints from Home Depot for me. They mix it right every time. Heck, I even bought another gallon after running out once and the colour was EXACTLY the same. Try that from K-Mart:) (at least around these parts)

9. Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2002
    I have no clue how to use a hammer, but my mom is into a lot of home improvemnet stuff. She just put a new storm door on the front of the house two weeks ago after my backpack 'crashed' though the old one a while ago. The door came from Home Depot as did most of the things she buys from home improvement. Our two closeset Lowe's are in Rochester and Erie so thats why we never go there. :) When the house was being built most of the supplies came from Grossmans and Busy Beavers, both of which went out of business years ago.

10. Richard King

Mar 25, 2002
    A Lowes story:
    Soon after Lowes opened I bought a BUNCH of 18"x18" tile to redo the condo that I had bought. You can see the tile here: http://www.pbase.com/image/6099794/original The tile ran about $3.50 per tile when I originally bought it. Once the project was done I had about 14 boxes left (5 tiles to a box) and thought it would be nice to buy enough to do the living room in my house. I returned to Lowes and they had all the remaining tile of that style in the closeout area and couldn't order any more of that style. They did have another color, very close to the original, from the same maker and of the same size. I asked them how much if I took the whole lot off their hands. THere was just enough there to do my living room, kitchen and dining area if I layed it out with the two colors in 2x2 tiles. After checking the computer they let it go at $1.00 per tile (under $0.45 per foot). From then on I have always looked for closeouts when I go into Lowes or HD. By the way, don't EVER try to do kitchen cabinets at Lowes. I tried 3 times to order cabinets from the local store and they messed it up all three times. They mixed colors. They shipped incomplete orders. They shipped wrong sized boxes. After sending my cabinet installer home three times, I finally had the cabinets custom made.

11. Jasonbp

Jasonbp Godfather

Jun 17, 2002
    We have two Lowes, one Home Depot, and two Menards, in town.

I like Lowes. I have only been to the oldest one in town (opened 2001). I can get in get find what I need and get out quick. The other Lowes (opened 2002) is much smaller (about 75,000 square feet less), and it's to far away, so I don't go there. Alot of the people know what they are talking about, and if they don't they get someone who can help. Has nice lighting.

I hate Home Depot. They opened up about 1996, and it hasn't been cleaned from that day! I know hardware stores are dirty, but this is just bad. They never have anything you need in stock, it seem's. No one there knows what they are talking about. I ask something and they people look at me like I am crazy. About a 1/4 of the light are burnt out when you walk in there. I don't see how it stays open.

I go to both Menards. One is a Super Menards (like Lowes). The other is a normal one. It's easy to get around. Nice lighting. I only go to the normal Menards during Christmas they have a very nice set up. Much better than the Super Menards. I don't go much so I can't say alot.

12. jeffwtux

jeffwtux Icon

Apr 27, 2002
    IHMO, they are both oversaturated. They have just gone crazy building stores because the housing market has been so hot, but you don't need more than one of either of them within 7 miles of each other. These are huge stores and should't bee built as close together as gas stations.

13. Richard King

Mar 25, 2002
    It's funny, I live in a very small town compared to what I was accustomed to in Minnesota. When I moved here there was a television store on the edge of town that used to advertise that the were located "in the middle of nowhere". They are still in the same location, but they no longer use that tag line. Since I moved here about 6 years ago, a new mall has been built directly behind them along with the normal out building stores at the mall. We now have all the typical mall stores plus the above mentioned HD and Lowes. About a year ago we got our Circuit City, and next month we get our Best Buy. Things are changing rapidly in this "small town". It's nice to have the Lowes and HD, but they did drive a couple of smaller stores out of the business when they moved here. I miss Menards from the days in Minnesnowta.

14. toomuchtv

toomuchtv Godfather

May 17, 2002
    I have never had a bad experience at Lowe's & never had a good one at HD. It's whatever you get used to, I suppose.

15. James_F

Apr 23, 2002
    See thats what I've heard about Lowes, but I can't tell any difference between them and Home Depot. At least a Home Depot, the store is open 24 hours and I know the layout. I can't believe they don't stock native desert plants... I don't need a snow shovel, but I need salt for my soft water system. Why doesn't Lowes carry that stuff?

16. Richard King

Mar 25, 2002
    What's a snow shovel? :D

17. James_F

Apr 23, 2002
    Tell me about it. Would you expect one in Vero Beach? Not likely, so why would I want one here?

18. Timco

Timco Woof! DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 7, 2002
    I think Lowes is going for more of the do-it-yourselfers-but-hardly-know-how-to-use-a-hammer crowd and HD is more for contractors. My experience has been that Lowes is cleaner, and the prices are more clearly marked.
    I think that the shock of going into a massive store and not knowing where anything is, can be annoying. Once you learn how it is laid out, you wont notice much of a difference.
    IMHO customer service sucks at both Lowes and HD.

19. Karl Foster

Karl Foster Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    Not to get totally off topic, but the worst experience I ever had with snow was in Arizona (albeit in Flagstaff). I lived in Phoenix and was coming from Salt Lake City and got stuck in Flagstaff for many hours in my car waiting for I-17 to open! I could have used a snow shovel then!

Back on topic, though, I have a Lowes and HD equidistant from my house so it is a coin toss. Our local Lowes is smaller, and easier to find stuff in. Haven't found a clerk in either store that knows anything, though.

20. James_F

Apr 23, 2002
    Karl, I'd agree with you on Flagstaff with snow. My worst experience with snow was there also. When its bad up there, I can't think of a worst place for snow other than maybe Donner Pass. But that is all a distant memory, with the drought we've had here over the past 10 years, I can't remember the last time I saw snow fall in Flagstaff. Now of course it still snows there, but not when I'm there. :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.