1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Home media movies play but cant stop them

Discussion in 'Hopper System Support Forum' started by alberto7valdez, Mar 22, 2013.

1. alberto7valdez

alberto7valdez New Member

Jan 28, 2013
    I've been playing around with coding movies to play thru home media and regardless of what type of movies i play (mpg4,mpe2,mkv etc...), once i start the movie, there's nothing i can do to stop, pause, ffwd etc...it just keeps on playing. I can get back to regular channel viewing, but if i try to play another movie thru home media, the original movie is still playing. In order to play another movie i have to reboot the hopper. So far i've been able to play some mpeg4 movies and most mpeg2. mkv movies only play sound. The exact same thing happens to the joey

using hopper and joey (new hopper w/sling)
    I'm playing the movies thru a ntfs usb 750gb drive connected to my router (asus rt-n66u)

thanks

2. alberto7valdez

Jan 28, 2013
    i forgot to state that i'm asking for help... any suggestions for this? thx

3. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    perhaps post the question in a thread with your FW version ?

4. tommiet

tommiet Godfather

Dec 28, 2005
    If you are ripping video files, you probably only ripping the video files and none of the menus. etc. MPEG is the only format that works for me and I can use all the basic controls. just not user friendly. Try using the same source video and adjust the codex to find one that works for you and stick with it.

5. alberto7valdez

Jan 28, 2013
    tommiet,
    you using mpeg1 or mpeg2? does the video bitrate matter? and what about the audio settings...i've had the most success with mpeg2, but sometimes it still fails... haven't tried mpeg1... will try that... thanks

6. RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP Kwisatz Haderach of Cordcuttery

Jan 23, 2008
    I'd really suggest something like Plex or PlayOn installed on a machine. They can transcode anything you need and read from any device on the network. They work great with my Hopper.

7. tommiet

tommiet Godfather

Dec 28, 2005
    MPEG4 (H.264) and AAC for audio. You can download Handbrake for free and play with the settings.

As other have said, you can buy other toys to add to your TV to watch ripped videos, but that just adds a level of complexity that I don't want.