1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Home Media Option

Discussion in 'DIRECTV SD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by BurgEnder, Nov 6, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BurgEnder

BurgEnder AllStar

Aug 14, 2003
    Has anyone upgraded to this option? I don't really care about viewing JPEGs or listening to my mp3 collection-just viewing recorded shows between the two units. Is it like having one four tuner unit? Will one unit send a record "job" to the other if it's already scheduled for two simutaneous recordings (like ReplayTV units will do)? When watching material recorded on another unit in the home, is the program "streamed" from that unit or is it transfered to the viewing unit's HDD? I'm not worried about setup as i'm A+ and Network+ certified, and I just bought a home and plan to run Cat5e or Cat6 throughout.

2. bonscott87

bonscott87 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

Jan 21, 2003
    It's not an option for DirecTivo's. There is no HMO available for them. HMO is only for Stand Alone Series 2 Tivo's.

3. tivosmart

tivosmart Legend

Sep 14, 2003
    Hi BurgEnder, welcome to the forum.

The Directivo unfortunately doesn't have the home media option available yet. There's a big commotion blaming Directv for not allowing Tivo to rollup their software version 4.0, which has the HMO option.

I've heard rummors of guys at TivoCommunity who got a standalone 4.0 image and intalled it succesfully to a Directivo, is this what you're talking about?

BTW, the way HMO works is streaming it over the net, and it keeps some MB in the recipient's HD for caching, but not the whole movie before playing.

4. BurgEnder

BurgEnder AllStar

Aug 14, 2003
    Thank-you both for your answers. You've been very helpful.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.