1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Home Phone Poll

Discussion in 'The OT' started by 1953, Aug 1, 2011.

Preferred Home Telephones

1. Panasonic

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Uniden

51.5%
  3. AT&T

12.1%
  4. VTech

13.6%
  5. Other Brand

15.2%
  6. Cordless

10.6%
  7. Corded

33.3%
  8. Cordless & Corded

4.5%
  9. Frequency - DECT Digital

24.2%
  10. Frequency - Digital or Non-Digital

28.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Aug 1, 2011 #1 of 34

1953 Icon

Feb 7, 2006
    Desoto, TX
    We just purchased a Panasonic DECT 6 Plus four handset wireless telephone so it got me wondering what other brands folks prefer. BTW, our phones are used with AT&T U-Verse Voice.

Please participate in the poll and also add comments.

2. Aug 1, 2011 #2 of 34
    Kevin F

Kevin F Hall Of Fame

May 9, 2010
    Panasonic or Moto.

I'm not a huge fan of the cheap/store brands. I prefer for my phones to have a great battery life. And a decent range too.

I find that panasonics have a better battery while motos have better range. Also stay away from the 5.8 ghz band phones. I feel that DECT has better range and is also easier on the battery.

Kevin

3. Aug 1, 2011 #3 of 34
    Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    I have a DECT *GE* brand, that works 4 houses away with no problems. Never had the battery go dead, and can leave it on the charger (NiMh) with no memory issues. Dont think the brand is important as long as it has a NiMh battery and DECT.

4. Aug 1, 2011 #4 of 34
    redsoxfan26

redsoxfan26 Godfather

Dec 6, 2007
    West...
    Have a VTech cordless and GE corded. Replaced the battery in the cordless once in five years of usage.

5. Aug 1, 2011 #5 of 34
    fluffybear

fluffybear Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    We use a Panasonic DECT6.0 cordless with answering machine as our primary home phones. We can go about 250 feet before we start to notice any kind of signal break-up.

I have a corded phone in the house as well. It's a wall mounted phone which hangs in the laundry room and is only used in case of a power outage .

6. Aug 1, 2011 #6 of 34
    Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I've had Uniden 5.8GHz phones for many years and have had no problems with any of them. I buy replacement batteries from Radio Shack for about $20, but they last for years. My Unidens are now working with an OOMA setup. The feature we use a lot is the intercom. Lot cheaper than putting an intercom system in the house. I did purchase a new Uniden set from Costco, but they didn't work well and we returned to our old phones. I keep getting the feeling that Costco is a major outlet for devices that don't pass the manufacturer's quality tests. I also tried Costco's Panny phones and they had virtually no range. More crap from a store that seems to revel in selling crap.

Rich

7. Aug 1, 2011 #7 of 34
    SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    I thought this was about something else. I'll start that in a minute.

I have a Panny 2 handset cordless that's about 5 years old plus a couple of much older wired sets.

8. Aug 1, 2011 #8 of 34
    JACKIEGAGA

JACKIEGAGA N.Y. FOOTBALL GIANTS

Dec 11, 2006
    Long Island, NY
    I have ATT 6.0 Dect

9. Aug 1, 2011 #9 of 34
    spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone DBSTalk Club

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Just bought a Panasonic Dect 6.0 from Costco last weekend to replace a failing set of phones we've had for the last 6 years.

Liking the Panasonic so far. It has bluetooth so we can connect our cell phones if we want, and it also has verbal Caller ID, which is pretty cool.

10. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    Anybody have a two-line system with a landline for one and a VoIP line for the other?

11. Go Beavs

Go Beavs Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2008
    Portland,...
    We use a Panasonic DECT6.0 with about 6 handsets. :eek2: You'd think that having all those handsets would make finding a ringing phone easy. Nah, I rarely find one without running through the house. I usually find 2 or 3 in my wife's craft room, piled up on the counter. :lol:

Thats the problem with cordless phones, they are never around when you need one. I keep a good old fashion corded phone next to the bed for power outages and any late night emergencies. It never goes missing. :)

I had a couple Unidens but I found the keys would stop working after a while. If you pressed REAL hard they might work but that got old pretty fast. I took them apart and even cleaned the keypad contacts with alcohol but that only proved to be a short-term fix. The long term fix was to throw them out and get new ones.

12. TBlazer07

TBlazer07 Grumpy Grampy

Feb 5, 2009
    I did up to 2 months ago when I switched my 2nd line to VOIP. Using an RCA 2-Line Dect w/remotes.

13. klang

klang Hall Of Fame

Oct 14, 2003
    Near...
    Somewhat older Panasonic 5.8GHz system with four handsets. Works fine although I would like additional range whenever I get around to replacing.

Also keep a couple corded handsets in a drawer for power failures. That was our only means of communication during the last hurricane.

14. chevyguy559

chevyguy559 Fresno State Bulldog!

Sep 19, 2008
    Fresno, CA
    I have this AT&T DECT 6.0 set but with 5 handsets....hardly ever gets used though, I have Vonage on Do Not Disturb and we use our cell phones for mostly everything....just keep the Vonage $9.99 plan for occasional faxes and outbound calls :)

[​IMG]

15. dettxw

dettxw MRVing

Nov 21, 2007
    Choctaw, OK
    Yeah the bluetooth connection to the cell phone is pretty cool.
    Just have limited landline service to enable my old grey-haired mom's medical alert unit to work. But with the bluetooth connectivity it doesn't matter where she's lost her cell phone, she can still receive incoming calls from it and make unlimited cell calls out on it using the Panasonic handsets. :)
    Still have to convince her that they don't have a touchscreen though. :rolleyes:

Used to have a Vtech for a short time but two of three battery packs died in the first week so a bad experience there. :(

16. houskamp

houskamp Active Member

Sep 14, 2006
    only one I use is a uniden modified by audex.. had it several years now.. audex adds an amplifier to the stock phone.. at full volume it's like a speakerphone :)

17. jerry downing

jerry downing Godfather

Mar 7, 2004
    Illinois
    One corded because it still works through power outages. The rest are cordless.

18. Cholly

Cholly Old Guys Rule! DBSTalk Club

Mar 22, 2004
    Indian...
    After two of our 5.8 GHz Unidens in a 5 handset system failed, I purchased a 4 handset Panasonic Dect 6.0 system from Costco. My only complaint is Panny's menu system. Changing ringer volume is an adventure, even when using their "shortcut". The Unidens were much more straightforward.
    By the way - I don't find that Costco sells inferior merchandise. I've bought cameras and appliances there for several years with no problems whatsoever. The same is true with my experience with Sam's Club. Both warehouse clubs stand behind the merchandise they sell, which is more than you can say about many other chains.

19. coolman302003

coolman302003 2014 NBA CHAMPIONS!

Jun 2, 2008
    Southeast
    Panasonic DECT 6.0 cordless phone system (expandable) and a AT&T Trimline corded phone with Caller ID.

20. matt

matt New Member

Jan 11, 2010
    Western Electric 2500. Exclusively.