1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Home Plug?

Discussion in 'Service - DIRECTV On Demand CE Versions' started by lbostons, Oct 26, 2007.

1. lbostons

lbostons Mentor

Jun 13, 2006
    I did a quick search to find additional information for this but did not have much success. Does anyone know if D* is providing this to HR20-700 users and for what cost? Better yet, does it work well? My home office is upstairs and my two HR20-700s are downstairs so I thought that this might be a nice quick fix. Maybe I should just by a router.

2. Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo Lifetime Achiever

Oct 20, 2006
    DirecTV does not offer any network equipment.

Can you wire it or do you need to go wireless?

You need to by a router (Depending on if you need wired or wireless what one you get. But I would go with a wireless no matter what.) and either hard wire it or get two wireless adapters that have an ethernet connection not USB.

3. lbostons

lbostons Mentor

Jun 13, 2006
    I cannot wire it, my wife would absolutely kill me. I was thinking wireless router also, especially if D* does not offer the Home Plug. Thank you for the information/opinion on two wireless adapters that have an ethernet connection. Would you do you recommend purchasing, is there an online bargain retailer I could use?

4. Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo Lifetime Achiever

Oct 20, 2006
    I order everything like that from newegg.com and a lot of members here will back me on that. Newegg is a great company.

As far as what wireless adapter there is a few out the but a few members here including myself have the Linksys WGA54G.

5. Coffey77

Coffey77 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

Nov 12, 2006
    Newegg is a good company and I also order quite a few items from Geeks.com. You can also find a decent router on sale at your local BB or CC or Staples or even Target at times. Just take a look at the fliers when they come out and compare. Also, you have the internet - check all the prices on line and then bring in the price to the store that charges the most - and then ask them to match your lowest price. Some stores, like sears and CCity, match it and give you 10% of the difference. It's not much but sometimes you can get your tax paid for. :)

6. lbostons

lbostons Mentor

Jun 13, 2006
    Thanks for the info

7. MikeR

MikeR Hall Of Fame

Oct 5, 2006
    Directv does not provide a Home Plug, but this announcement is somewhat misleading, but really they are just announcing a partnership.
    http://www.homeplug.org/news/pr/view?item_key=9d84090d10e4a5174fb89c7bbc0f88c6d60fd1ae

I've read on this site of some uses of the HomePlug, and it is rather easy compared to a bridge. Maybe that is why there is not a lot of discussion on here about them....

No powerstrips or surge protectors

Newegg has quite a few available, and the Slinglink mentioned in a linked post

8. sean10780

sean10780 Godfather

Oct 16, 2007
    Wow, that article is definitely misleading, it sounds like if you sign up for directv on demand then they will provide the homeplug for free, but I assume you're right, it's just a partnership.

But anyway, that would be cool if they would provide you with them.

9. NR4P

NR4P Dad

Jan 15, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    I use PLC devmices (i.e. Homeplug compliance) and have good success. One of them is plugged into a surge protector and other is not. I get 40mbps speed between them.
    However if I plug both into surge protectors, they don't communicate.

So I hedged my bet on power surges and live with just one on a surge protector.

10. sean10780

sean10780 Godfather

Oct 16, 2007

Where did you purchase your homeplug devices and how many do you have 2 or 3?

11. mumblyjoe

mumblyjoe Cool Member

Oct 27, 2007
    I picked up a "homeplug" style set by Netgear. They call it an "85Mbps Wall Plugged Ethernet Adapter". The set comes with an XE103 and XE104. The 103 has a single input on the plug that goes next to my router and the 104 has a 4 port switch for the other end. The 103 is in my office downstairs and I placed the 4 port plug up in my distibution hub in the bedroom (new house is all wired with cat 5 to the TVs). The H20-700s immediately rocognized the internet. I turned on mediacenter on my vista PC and it sees them too. I had mediashare in a matter of minutes with this setup and after the CE download last night I now have DOD.

I definately recommend the homeplug. Much easier (and perhaps more reliable)than wireless since it is completely plug and play. You can get pairs of homeplugs on the auction sites very cheaply or for around $100 at local stores.

12. dwilliam_houston

dwilliam_houston Mentor

Feb 6, 2007
    I too would recommend this solution. I've been using for a few weeks with great success. I have also used it for my XBox360. I found it much more reliable than wireless network in my house.

13. bigshew

bigshew Legend

Feb 26, 2007
    I have a 100 yr old house with old wiring. Tried Homeplug and found it works in some rooms and not others. Unfortunately, my computer room is one room where it doesn't work. If you have old wiring and want to try a Homeplug device you might want to buy from a store with good return policy.