1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Home Run Derby

Discussion in 'Sports Programming and Events' started by durl, Jul 12, 2005.

1. durl

durl Hall Of Fame

Mar 27, 2003
    I was curious to find out what everyone thought about the new format for the Home Run Derby.

Personally, I thought the idea was lame. Not to sound ethnocentric, but watching "America's Pastime" and having the emphasis on foreign countries was a bad idea. Instead of the best home run hitters in the derby (which is supposed to be the whole idea) you had the best a particular country could contribute. Choi hit 5 HRs in the derby, not terrible, but he made the derby with only 13 home runs at the break??

It seemed like Selig was trying to have a mini-Olympics of home run hitting where the team is de-emphasized. I hope this idea is dropped next year.

2. BobMurdoch

BobMurdoch Hall Of Fame

Apr 24, 2002
    Watching Abreu was fun, but the rest (other than Ortiz) looked like they didn't belong there.

Next year, how about inviting the top 8 HR hitters up to July 1st and leave it at that......

Teixera was the "best" of the Americans available???? Please.

3. Dan9

Dan9 Godfather

Feb 21, 2005
    Derrek Lee was suppose to be the American Represenative, but he tweaked his shoulder or something and decided not to participate. He tweaked his shoulder in the Braves Series about a week ago, and pulled out and then went on to hit two home runs this weekend in Florida, go figure. :confused:

4. SamC

SamC Hall Of Fame

Jan 20, 2003
    A dumb idea. Rah, rah, rah. I'm for the Americans!!!! These millionaires have the same color passport as me.

And, BTW, the Netherlands is a country in Europe. Jones is from the Netherlands Antilles, which has it own flag (not the one used last night) and government. You might as well use the British flag for Canada.

5. mainedish

mainedish Hall Of Fame

Mar 25, 2003
    ESPN did a lousy job as always. What is up with Chris Berman ? He always sounds like he gasping for air. Has he been ill or something?

6. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    all that Rah Rah Rah was lame. Three fans stood up, then quickly sat down out of embarassment (and fear that their wives or parole officers would see them).

Didn't the allstar game venues have bunting in the past?

7. cdru

cdru Hall Of Fame

Dec 4, 2003
    Well since baseball won't be an Olympic sport after the 2008 games, maybe this is closer to the truth then you might imagine.