1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Home Wiring for Dish

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by BradSmith, May 3, 2012.

Tags:
  1. BradSmith

BradSmith New Member

May 3, 2012
    I've purchased and remodeled a home thinking I'd install Direct. Antenna location to a SWM location in the attic then separate lines to each receiver location in the house.

Now I'm considering Dish instead of Direct.

With the Hopper and 3 Joeys, will this wiring layout work?

thanks

2. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    A single good quality cable to each location from a central location will work fine for DISH.

SWM allows a single cable to serve multiple locations - but it sounds like you were not planning on using that feature.

3. njk986

njk986 Cool Member

Mar 29, 2010
    It is important however that where you plan to put a hopper unit has RG-6 cable capable of carrying 3.0 ghz. All of the Joeys can run on RG-59. The Hopper has to carry three satellite tuners and the Moca data so it needs all that bandwidth.

4. Wire Nut

Wire Nut Legend

Apr 6, 2012
    As mentioned, RG-6 is important. Also, from the Dish antenna there needs to be at least 2 coax cables and a #10 solid copper ground wire or messenger cable. HERE is a diagram of what will be installed, the node and splitter will be in the attic so hopefully there is a ground source there.