1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Home Wiring for Dish

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by BradSmith, May 3, 2012.

Tags:
  1. BradSmith

BradSmith New Member

May 3, 2012
    I've purchased and remodeled a home thinking I'd install Direct. Antenna location to a SWM location in the attic then separate lines to each receiver location in the house.

Now I'm considering Dish instead of Direct.

With the Hopper and 3 Joeys, will this wiring layout work?

thanks

2. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    A single good quality cable to each location from a central location will work fine for DISH.

SWM allows a single cable to serve multiple locations - but it sounds like you were not planning on using that feature.

3. njk986

njk986 Cool Member

Mar 29, 2010
    It is important however that where you plan to put a hopper unit has RG-6 cable capable of carrying 3.0 ghz. All of the Joeys can run on RG-59. The Hopper has to carry three satellite tuners and the Moca data so it needs all that bandwidth.

4. Wire Nut

Wire Nut Legend

Apr 6, 2012
    As mentioned, RG-6 is important. Also, from the Dish antenna there needs to be at least 2 coax cables and a #10 solid copper ground wire or messenger cable. HERE is a diagram of what will be installed, the node and splitter will be in the attic so hopefully there is a ground source there.