1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Homeland

Discussion in 'TV Show Talk' started by Drucifer, Oct 22, 2012.

1. Drucifer

Drucifer New Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    SHOWTIME(R) ORDERS SEASON THREE OF "HOMELAND"

SOURCE

2. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Good news.

3. Supramom2000

Supramom2000 In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

Jun 20, 2007
    Colbert, WA
    Love this show.

4. oldschoolecw

oldschoolecw HarpoonIPA

Jan 25, 2007
    Halifax, MA
    I have not watched any of season 2 yet, how has it been so far?

5. Henry

Henry Retired Member

Nov 15, 2007
    Pine, CO
    Engrossing. If you thought season one was good ...

6. John Strk

John Strk Legend

Oct 16, 2009
    Fantastic news although I'm not surprised. It's one of the best shows on TV. Season 2 is great so far!!

7. RunnerFL

RunnerFL DIRECTV A-Team

Jan 4, 2006
    Last season I recorded all of Season 1 before watching it, in case the show failed mostly, but then once I sat down and watched it I didn't want to stop. Now I'm recording Season 2 and will wait for it to complete before I watch as well. I'm sure that I'll handle Season 3 the same way.

8. sigma1914

sigma1914 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    I'm doing the same. It's a show that leaves you wanting the next episode as soon as you finish one.

9. Galaxie6411

Galaxie6411 Icon

Aug 26, 2007
    After a certain story point was "wrapped up" early last year I didn't see how they would do a second, same thing is happening this season so it should get really interesting.

10. oldschoolecw

oldschoolecw HarpoonIPA

Jan 25, 2007
    Halifax, MA
    Agreed, and my reason as well

11. Henry

Henry Retired Member

Nov 15, 2007
    Pine, CO
    Agree. They have a good writing team that seems to be drawing from current events rather nicely. This story line could go on for a while.

12. mrro82

mrro82 Legend

Sep 11, 2012
    Astoria, OR
    Another great episode Sunday. Wow.

13. Henry

Henry Retired Member

Nov 15, 2007
    Pine, CO
    Yep. Seemed like a short episode. Of course it wasn't, but it sure makes you wish you could watch the next one right away.

14. mrro82

mrro82 Legend

Sep 11, 2012
    Astoria, OR
    I thought it was short too until I looked at the counter. Couldn't believe how fast it went.

15. Henry

Henry Retired Member

Nov 15, 2007
    Pine, CO
    You get caught up in it and time just flies. I wish I had the discipline of those that actually record an entire season without peeking, then marathon till their heart's content ... unfortunately, I don't (have the discipline), and I do (peek). :rolleyes:

16. TomCat

TomCat Broadcast Engineer

Aug 31, 2002
    I guess it should not be surprising that the geniuses behind 24 are running this show. For HBO they have the luxury of enough time to do quality work, and every ep is top-shelf. For 24, they had to crank out 24 eps a year for what, 8 seasons? They had to take a year off just to catch up with themselves. Consequently, there are a few klinkers from 24 that did not measure up to the very high standards they themselves had set (whatserface getting chased by a cougar, anyone?). But by and large, 24 was a groundbreaking and iconic hit, precisely because of how talented these writers and producers are. Kudos too, to Sean Callery, who every week sets the bar higher for the production music, just as he did for 24. This guy is a genius in how he knows how to support the intensity and intrigue; If 24 and Homeland were the cakes, Sean's music is the icing. I think he does Last Resort, also--one of the new shows anyway.

One thing they brought over from 24 was a very high skill level and ability to create cliff-hanger ep wrap ups. Every ep has a twist at the end that makes you want to see the next ep right away; it's pure, unadulterated genius. 24 had that same quality.

I had never liked Claire Danes all that much; only about an 8 for starters, and the only thing I ever really liked with her in it was the pilot of "My So-Called Life" (IIRC) when she was about 16. Well, she has completely won me over. Now I want to just hug her and take her home with me, her character being so vulnerable and needy. I always considered Damian Lewis to be one of the best actors working, but Claire Danes is out-effing-standing. All the awards? They all deserved every single one.

This (my original feeling that Claire Danes might be over-rated and my lack of interest as her cast in the lead) is why I was on the fence regarding this show and never watched it. Later I regretted this because of all of the high praise the show was getting. Last year I stumbled across a marathon one Saturday morning on Showtime, and on a whim, recorded the whole season all in one day. Best decision I ever made.

But unlike Henry, even though I had the entire series double-recorded, I always put at least a 4-8 day buffer between every ep. It's not so much for me a matter of discipline, but experience (I am an Olympic-caliber couch potato, after all). I find that this is the sweet spot; close enough to be able to keep the thread intact in your head, but far enough apart to be able to savor the series for a relatively long time.

This year, however, its been must-see TV time; every Sunday within an hour or two of it airing, I gobble it right up. But I'm also fickle; I was doing the same thing with Justified, yet I still have 4 eps left from last year and haven't seen an ep in months. Maybe I got tired of dumb $#!+kickers and hillbilly heroin-related violence. Nobody on the show seems smart enough to be much of a threat to Raylan Givens anymore. He needs a Moriarity.

17. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    Well said, Tomcat, however, I do get a tad weary of Claire Dane's character's histrionics. In real life, she wouldn't get within 100 miles of Langley.

18. Henry

Henry Retired Member

Nov 15, 2007
    Pine, CO
    +1

How true, how true.

19. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Yes, she's good, damned good, but could go a lot softer on the facials.

And Lewis is better. To me, the most amazing thing is.....

He's a Brit!

20. TomCat

TomCat Broadcast Engineer

Aug 31, 2002
    There is an element of having to suspend your disbelief in every program, and I agree that this program seems to have a lot of that compared to most, but they can get away with it because the sheer talent is so great that it wins you over in spite of that.

These producers also have a history of that. I remember Jack Bauer being able to face time live on his cell phone (years before Apple or Skype ever figured this out) from the basement level of an underground parking structure. 5 bars, I guess. No pixellation, no latency, perfect audio with no lipsync error.

I bought into it completely, and that was because the story was so compelling it overwhelmed all of the little flaws like this.