1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Homeplug vs Ethernet

Discussion in 'ViP612/622/722/722K DVR Support Forum' started by speedboat, Jun 29, 2011.

1. speedboat

speedboat AllStar

Sep 22, 2009
    I've had my 722 connected to the internet thru the built in HomePlug for over a year. I've downloaded a few things, but it seemed painfully slow. Now that I got in on the SlingAdapter deal, I've pulled the Ethernet cable from my BluRay and plugged it into my 722.

From my router status page, it appears both ports are connected. Can I count on my 722 using the fastest possible method? Is there a way to disable the HomePlug? Is there a way to test the speed of either connection?

Thanks.

2. saberfly

saberfly Legend

Apr 4, 2010
    Im not sure when it happened but it use to be if you downloaded a movie, it would show a progress bar and told how many MBPS you were downloading at. Through ethernet the MOST i could get was about 4-5 and i have 35mbps download internet speed. There is no way now to test the speed now. Ive never tried ther home plug but just thought i would tell what the speed through ethernet was before they changed it.

3. apinkel

apinkel Mentor

May 28, 2004
    According to a few posts over on satelliteguys the homeplug connection takes precedence.

Can't you just disconnect the homeplug adapter that you have at your router?

4. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    That would be brain damaged indeed.

I think the key, as apinkel suggests, is to remove the HomePlug adapter from the router and let the ViP722 handle bridging the networks.

5. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Youngsville NC
    If you want to stop the homeplug, use a UPS that is not Homeplug compatable.

6. speedboat

speedboat AllStar

Sep 22, 2009
    Thought of that, but my two VIP211's are networked thru the HomePlug too. Not sure what good it does, but says they are connected.

7. apinkel

apinkel Mentor

May 28, 2004
    Ahhh... gotcha, I see your issue.

Can you go into your router configuration and block the mac address of the 722? I know most routers allow you to do this with wifi clients, hopefully you can do the same thing with these homeplug clients.

8. gtal98

gtal98 Godfather

Jan 30, 2011
    Plug the 722 into a surge protector - Homeplug signals do not pass through most surge protectors.

9. FarmerBob

FarmerBob Godfather

Nov 27, 2002
    A neighbor that I installed a 722k for started out with the HomePlug. He just had Cat6 run and all I had to do to switch him over was to unplug the HomePlug transmitter from the wall and reset the Broadband Connection and it grabbed right on to the wired connection.

And what a difference. Hardwire even to a switch then the 722k is a night and day event.