1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hook Up Blu Ray

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by john59912, Dec 16, 2011.

1. john59912

john59912 Cool Member

Dec 5, 2011
    I have The whole service set up and am in the process of setting up my pc network to hook up to whole home. I want to hook up a blu ray player (Panasonic DBT210 Wireless) to a HR24-200 and have it play/stream movies to both tv's. The people setting up my pc network say this isn't possible. They say that i need a blu ray for each tv. It was my understanding that if i had media center set up i would need only one blu ray. Was i wrong? Don't want to get a 2nd blu ray if i don't have to.

2. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    It depends more on your setup.

If it's just a basic blu-ray player and the TVs are more or less basic TVs, the only option would be to get an HDMI splitter through someone like monoprice.com and then run two HDMI cables. If you're pre-wiring a PC network you could do that, or you could buy an HDMI to ethernet converter and prewire for ethernet.

If your blu-ray player is capable of acting as a DLNA server, and your TVs are capable of acting as DLNA clients, then all you would have to do is network them, but that's unlikely.

3. john59912

john59912 Cool Member

Dec 5, 2011
    Guess i am dense. For D* i Have two dvr's and they are both connected by the whole home service. The whole home service is connected to my wireless router via Diredtv's Deca Broadband Adapter. It would appear that the blu ray player connected both tv's by either:
    1. Connecting it to a D* receiver with a ether cable.
    2. Add the blu ray to the pc network. The pc network is connected to the
    router as the Deca Broadband adapter.
    3. connect the blu ray to the router with an ether cable. Would be last resort
    as it would limit where the blu ray could be located.
    4. Not sure about this solution. Since router and blu ray are both wireless why
    a wired connection?

4. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone DBSTalk Club

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    You need a blu ray player at each location.

5. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    It does sound like it.

See, the Blu-ray is probably not a media server. Most of them aren't. Just connecting it to the network won't do anything. Also, you can't connect a Blu-ray player to a DIRECTV receiver, nothing happens.

Whether you connect wirelessly or with a cable, you probably won't be able to share content from the Blu-ray. It's just not designed like that.

6. Alebob911

Alebob911 Hall Of Fame

Mar 22, 2007
    CERES,CA
    The blu ray player needs a direct connection via HDMI or component cable to a TV. As stuart said you could split the signal coming from the blu ray and send it to your other TV's. The HR2x only supports whole home with its own content (recordings) that are on it. It does not allow you to connect any other sources to it and then share it. You will need to buy additional Blu ray players. Usually the wireless that is built in to the blu ray player is for accessing online content (Netflix, Vudu, and apps if supported) not sharing. Again Directv's Whole home only shares content on HR2x to H2x, and other HR2x, nothing else.

7. john59912

john59912 Cool Member

Dec 5, 2011
    Ok guys i think i see the light for the Blue Ray, need two.
    Would this work, get 2 Roku's one for each Tv and installed them. If i were watching a movie on tv 1 could i also watch the same movie on tv2. If this would work does anyone have a suggestion on anything other then Roku>
    Thanks for your patience. Mind kind of slows down at 80.

8. F1 Fan

F1 Fan Icon

Aug 28, 2007
    Sorry to put a damper on things

Two rokus = two streams from the internet

So yes in theory you can watch the same program twice - no they would not be in sync unless you got very good at starting them both at the same time.

What you can do though is (with Netflix and some others) watch a movie on one. STOP (I use this word as some people have thrown a hissy fit at Directv ads saying pause) the movie, go to the other tv and resume playing where you left off.

This is a feature of the provider though (e.g. Netflix) and is not dependent on the Roku (works the same on my 2 blu ray players)

9. spartanstew

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Correct. I do that with my Netflix enabled Blu Ray players all the time.

10. john59912

john59912 Cool Member

Dec 5, 2011
    Ok guys i think i see the light for the Blue Ray, need two.
    Would this work, get 2 Roku's one for each Tv and installed them. If i were watching a movie on tv 1 could i also watch the same movie on tv2. If this would work does anyone have a suggestion on anything other then Roku>
    Thanks for your patience. Mind kind of slows down at 80.

11. spartanstew

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Apparently, the mind repeats itself at 80 too.

12. john59912

john59912 Cool Member

Dec 5, 2011
    Many thanks for the help and advice. Think i will go with the Roku instead of blue ray. I'll set one up and make sure i have it working and then add the second one to the other tv.

13. F1 Fan

F1 Fan Icon

Aug 28, 2007
    Personally I would go with two blu rays than the Rokus. (or one of each).

I just purchased two Vizio internet capable Blu Rays for $99 each which was only a couple more dollars than the 2 Rokus. I get most of what the Rokus have (Amazon, Hulu, Netflix, Vudu etc.) with the bonus of the blu ray player too, all in one box.

14. bobnielsen

bobnielsen Éminence grise

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    One disadvantage of Roku is that it won't work as a media client for streaming files from your computer. My Samsung Blu-ray does this (much better than my Directv DVR) plus Netflix, Vudu, etc.

15. john59912

john59912 Cool Member

Dec 5, 2011
    For F1 Fan. I can go with your suggestion pretty easy, i have a Panasonic dbt 210 which i was going to return, but i'll put that off. I assume that you have a program to get local content from your pc to the tv. Are you using Tversity or something else? I have been trying to set up Tversity, but it's not the easiest thing to do. From reading this forum a lot of members were having problems with the 1.9 versions and had gone back to 1.8. With a member's help i was able to locate and download a beta version of 1.8. The codec pack would not install due to HTTP/1.1 403 Forbidden (whatever that is - I am not a Techie). Tversity's site does not provide any support except for a user's form. Looking thru their form looks as if they are having problems connecting to D* as well as codec problems. Tried to sign up for forum about 6/7 hours ago and still waiting for authorization. If i could find another good media server program that worked reasonably well i jump on it.
    Contrary to what some of you do my needs are pretty simple, Play music on tv and another pc, same for photos. I don't do video other than to download/stream movies from outside sources.
    Any additional help you or other memebers can provide will be appreciated.

16. spartanstew

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    You can get another 210 for your other TV on sale at Amazon right now for $127 - $20 Amazon credit (net $107).

You'll get another copy of Avatar in 3D too, which if you hurry you can sell on Ebay for around $50, meaning you'll have Netflix and Blu Ray capability in your second location too for just over $50.

Amazon 210

17. dishdudepueblo31

dishdudepueblo31 New Member

Aug 7, 2013
    pueblo Colorado
    I am a dish and dtv installer and dealer. I have a full home server for media. I now use mezzmo for streaming. And I have found that dtv does not stream blue ray well using deca kit. Plain dvds are fine. And what you want to do is out of the question as you already know. I tried all servers for dtv and to much bit rate for the receiver to handle.... Hope it works with the 44 better .....

18. peds48

peds48 Genius. DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    I am a dish and dtv installer and dealer. I have a full home server for media. I now use mezzmo for streaming. And I have found that dtv does not stream blue ray well using deca kit. Plain dvds are fine. And what you want to do is out of the question as you already know. I tried all servers for dtv and to much bit rate for the receiver to handle.... Hope it works with the 44 better .....
    is not DirecTV, is just the blue rays are not set up to stream

19. mdavej

mdavej Hall Of Fame

Jan 30, 2007
    Some people do multiple rips for streaming on different devices. That's a possible solution, if you're willing to live with reduced PQ and go to the extra trouble. All in all though, DTV boxes are terrible at streaming. So I do think it's their fault for not implementing DLNA any better than they did. Mezzmo and the like are all going to transcode and destroy your PQ anyway. Just get a $35 Chromecast or use something else made for streaming, like a Dune or WDTV. Deca should have plenty of bandwidth to do full bitrate streams.

20. dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
    I ordered a Chromecast the second day from Amazon and just received that they expect delivery on October 21st.