1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hooking Up Playstation 2

Discussion in 'HDTV Equipment (Closed Forum)' started by theebdk, May 1, 2005.

1. theebdk

theebdk Cool Member

Feb 4, 2005
    I just set up my entire Home Theater system and am loving life. However, I cannot figure out how to hook up my Playstation 2 to enjoy surround sound (currently using the red and white cable into my receiver). My receiver is a Sony STR-DE545 and it appears that I have run out of the Digital Optical Inputs. Have one for the TV/Sat and one for the DVD. Anyway to split a digital optical signal?

I really want to enjoy the football game in full surround sound. Thanks.

2. cdru

cdru Hall Of Fame

Dec 4, 2003
    You can find a video input selector (like this one) that will allow you to switch between video/audio inputs, including a toslink (optical) connection. You should be able to find something significantly cheaper though, possibly on ebay.

3. MarkA

MarkA God Bless America! DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 23, 2002
    It sounds like you want to combine it, not split it. This should be easy enough since you're dealing with light, not electricity. If you have a few bucks to spare in case you mess up, I'd try splicing two cables together into one connector by melting them obviously use your imagination and don't blame me when all you end up with is two broken TosLink cables

4. theebdk

theebdk Cool Member

Feb 4, 2005
    Thanks for the replies I appreciate it.

5. Cholly

Cholly Old Guys Rule! DBSTalk Club

Mar 22, 2004
    Indian...
    Radio Shack sells a 4 way digital optical selector for $14.99 -- I have one and it works fine. You can find a similar one at www.cablestogo.com under "converters and selectors".

6. theebdk

theebdk Cool Member

Feb 4, 2005
    Thanks - just checked it out online. Not sure why I missed it before. Thank you