1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

hopper and standard box

Discussion in 'Hopper System Support Forum' started by eggie1000, Sep 21, 2013.

1. eggie1000

eggie1000 New Member

Sep 21, 2013
    pa
    first i would like to say hello to everyone i am new to the forum, i would like to know if i was to get the hopper system would i be able to get 1 standard receiver so i could take it to hunting camp and connect it to a dish 500 i belive.

2. eggie1000

eggie1000 New Member

Sep 21, 2013
    pa
    anyone

3. Cholly

Cholly Old Guys Rule!

Mar 22, 2004
    Indian...
    Ask a Dish rep. They should be able to tell you.

4. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Doctor Whom Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    I believe the only standard receiver you can have on a Hopper account is a 211 receiver. If that is fine for you and you are willing to call and let Dish know whenever you are not at home and are at the hunting camp, then I think you would be good to go.

5. Grandude

Grandude RichardParker II

Oct 21, 2004
    Yes, you can have the Hopper system and one VIP211 receiver on your account. I have done this as many here have. It's called a tailgater and the 211 can be used in a tailgater hardware setup, costs more money for that hardware, or you can just set up a Dish at whatever campsite you go to. If your hunting camp has a dish500 you should be fine.
    If you are on the western arc you won't be able to get programming from the sat at 129 which would require a separate dish or a newer dish installation which could pickup all three satellites. (May not be important to you) If the locals you receive are on a spot beam that doesn't reach your camp site you will have to call dish to change the address temporarily to get the locals from that location. If this isn't important to you there wouldn't be much need to call and change the address.

If you want to use, or at least keep the 211 up to date firmware wise at home, the setup will require a DPP44 switch which might be a bit confusing to install but there are diagrams in various places that show how it is done. (I have done this as I already had a DPP44 switch long before I got the hopper system.)

It might be a good idea to do this as I got a call from Dish folks and had to prove that I had the 211 in my possession and wasn't account stacking.

Finally, the 211 will have to be purchased, not leased. Dish Depot sells them along with all the hardware you might need to get the job done. The VIP211K is the one I have and would recommend it as a very solid receiver and has no disk drive in it so no worry in carrying it in your car to the camp site.