1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Hopper and wifi...

Discussion in 'Hopper System Support Forum' started by akw4572, Jul 6, 2012.

1. akw4572

akw4572 Legend

Sep 7, 2005
    How many of you are using wifi with it? Have you had any problems with connectivity and such? I've got a 20 mb speed on my wifi and was just wondering how the Hopper works with setups so far.

2. Blankman2k5

Blankman2k5 Legend

Oct 20, 2010
    I've heard nothing but positive things

3. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    Mediterranea...
    WiFi = unpredictable speed, I would say - unreliable connection for HD stream(s).
    Just turn on your microwave or start your vacuum or use your cordless phone for test...

4. Ray C@DISH Network

Ray C@DISH Network DISH Representative DISH Representative

Dec 28, 2010
    I have a WiFi adapter that I have used with a 722, 922, and now the Hopper. I get a signal strength of about 48-55. I sling all the time streaming Better or Best/HD quality without any problems. I use the extender cable for the adapter to pickup the strongest signal. If you have further questions, please let me know. Thanks.

5. TallGuyXP

TallGuyXP Cool Member

Sep 18, 2006
    My Wi-Fi signal strength was around 50-60, but I had spotty connectivity to my computer via DLNA. I ended up replacing the Wi-Fi connector with a HIC upstairs by the router and a Tap downstairs by the hopper. Works perfectly now!

6. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    Mediterranea...
    FYI: there not exist two identical WiFi setups.
    It's like your health - no one is you and you can't propagate your health parameters to other ppl.

7. 3HaloODST

3HaloODST Godfather

Aug 9, 2010
    Or buy multiple large directional antennas and ramp up the Xmit (like I did :D .) Wireless Joey using Dish-supplied wireless adapter streams flawlessly 22-45 ft away with 4 walls. Cordless phones are 5.8 GHz, I'm still using 2.4 for WiFi, vacuum/microwave are a non-issue. Then again this is with $200 in WiFi equipment, not your typical setup :p .