1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Hopper connected via broadband vs. phone line

Discussion in 'Hopper System Support Forum' started by Lammo, Nov 15, 2013.

1. Lammo

Lammo Cool Member

Dec 14, 2004
    Spokane,...
    Hello. I'm uprgrading to the Hopper from a nearly 10 year old 522 tomorrow. The 522 is connected to our landline and, in fact, is just about the only reason we still have the line. I believe the Hopper can make the required connection over broadband. We live out where the busses don't run so our broadband is through a Verizon Wireless 4GLTE modem and router. Our plan has a 10 GB per month usage cap and they charge through the nose for any overage. We ordinarily use between 4 and 6 GB each month. My concern is that I can't determine whether putting the Hopper on the broadband will bump us up over the cap. Any ideas/suggestions/input will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Mark

2. sregener

sregener Godfather

Apr 17, 2012
    As long as you don't use on-demand streaming video through the Hopper, I don't think you'd be close. Almost everything comes through the satellite, with just a little "location check" code sent out via ethernet.

3. david_jr

david_jr Godfather

Dec 10, 2006
    I have to say you will be taking a major step up in tech. I think you will be very pleased.

4. Lammo

Lammo Cool Member

Dec 14, 2004
    Spokane,...
    Thanks for the help. Went with the broadband for now. Will keep an eye on the usage. Don't plan to use much if any on-demand so we should be ok.

5. Lammo

Lammo Cool Member

Dec 14, 2004
    Spokane,...
    True that. My 60 inch plasma actually looks like and HDTV at long last.