1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Hopper/Joey general questions

Discussion in 'Hopper System Support Forum' started by soccerguy, Mar 12, 2013.

1. soccerguy

soccerguy New Member

Apr 2, 2007
    It's time to get rid of the VIP622 that has served us well for 6+ years. It's starting to act up a bit and will upgrade to a Hopper. A few questions that I am having a hard time finding answers for:

1. Transfers app- The shows are transferred to the iPad. Then what? Are they then synced to iTunes when you connect the iPad to your computer? I guess I am wondering about the ability to archive a program once I remove it from the iPad. Are the videos in a standard .mov or .m4v format or a proprietary format?

2. Joey cannot do PIP, correct?

3. PIP on the Hopper- On our VIP622 we don't very often use PIP but constantly use the 'swap' button to jump back and fourth between 2 shows. Same functionality on the Hopper?

4. Dish Anywhere app- When using the Dish Anywhere app it utilizes one of the tuners, correct? What about for recorded programs?

Thanks for the help.

2. garys

garys Hall Of Fame

Nov 4, 2005
    1. Then you can view it, I would think the recording would still have Dish's encryption and the only way to play it would be via the ipad app. It wouldn't matter what format since it should only play on the ipad.
    2. Correct.
    3. A little different, you do need two available tuners on the Hopper for the pip to work (if in use by Joey or recording, it would not work), with the 622, it needed to be in dual user mode and would work if tuner 2 was recording (you would see the recording, before anyone asks).
    4. DishAnywhere (I have to assume you mean via sling) would use a tuner for Live tv, but not use any tuner if viewing a recording.

3. soccerguy

soccerguy New Member

Apr 2, 2007
    Thanks.

So when you are done with a show on the iPad, it can only be deleted and not archived? Not a deal breaker by any means, just curious as to how it all works.

4. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    Mediterranea...
    there are DRM shows, like from HBO ... and not ...
    you should dig into the files and tell us

5. TheGrove

TheGrove AllStar

Jan 9, 2007
    Not sure if this would work for you, but you could put an EHD on the 622 and transfer your shows to that then transfer the EHD to the Hopper and the shows will be viewable on it. That is what I did when I replaced my 622 & 722 with hoppers.

6. RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP Kwisatz Haderach of Cordcuttery

Jan 23, 2008
    Short version is that unless they're DRM'd (HBO for example) then it keeps a copy on the drive. You can't 'archive' the video files from the iPad.

7. soccerguy

soccerguy New Member

Apr 2, 2007
    I just discovered last night that Dish did away with the one-time EHD fee. I am already digging through boxes looking for an old EHD to use.

Pricing question- If I purchase a Joey do I still have to pay the $7/mo fee?

Wish me luck. I am a 13+ year Dish subscriber and will attempt to get the Hopper and Joey free, even though I am not a new subscriber.

8. Ray C@DISH Network

Ray C@DISH Network DISH Representative DISH Representative

Dec 28, 2010
    All leased or purchased receivers have a monthly charge after the first receiver. I can also assist you with upgrading your equipment to the Hopper and Joeys. Please let me know. Thanks.

9. Ray C@DISH Network

Ray C@DISH Network DISH Representative DISH Representative

Dec 28, 2010
    The transfer of DVR content to an iPad is only accessible with the Hopper - Hopper w/Sling. Thanks.

10. soccerguy

soccerguy New Member

Apr 2, 2007
    Can't PM you until I have 5 posts... this may be #5...

11. yellohj

yellohj New Member

Nov 15, 2007
    I am needing 5 posts to PM DIRT team too.

12. yellohj

yellohj New Member

Nov 15, 2007
    soccerguy, I am sorry to flood your thread, but I am looking to replace my 922 and other DVS with H/J too. I play soccer too- hope you don't mind

13. yellohj

yellohj New Member

Nov 15, 2007
    soccerguy, those are great questions, btw

14. yellohj

yellohj New Member

Nov 15, 2007
    I called Dish Customer Service, but they said that I would have to have someone from another group call back and 2 weeks later no call.

I hope to get the answer to my questions once I can PM

15. soccerguy

soccerguy New Member

Apr 2, 2007
    OK here we go. Hopper and Joey being installed Friday Morning. Looks like BIG changes from the old reliable 622...

Should I see any difference in picture quality? The 622 is almost 7 years old after all...

16. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    Mediterranea...
    Yeah, if you bought new better HDTV

17. LtMunst

LtMunst Hall Of Fame

Aug 24, 2005
    I would swear the picture quality is noticeably better with the Hopper....might be all in my head though. :)

18. Oilspot

Oilspot Cool Member

Mar 4, 2013
    Mine seemed better also, but some of it is the menu and interface "upgrade" the actual shows seem about the same. The big difference to me was the speed of the new system (most of the time), was better than the 722.

19. RASCAL01

RASCAL01 Godfather

Aug 1, 2006
    Speed is the biggerst difference. I have not seen any picture difference.

20. dbconsultant

dbconsultant Hall Of Fame

Sep 13, 2005
    Temecula, CA
    We just replaced our 622 with the Hopper/Joey and the picture is amazingly better! Kind of like the difference between dvd and blueray. Loving our hopper!