1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Hopper, Joey & OTA Locals Problems Last Night

Discussion in 'Hopper System Support Forum' started by khearrean, Dec 9, 2013.

1. khearrean

khearrean Godfather

Mar 24, 2004
    S.E. Texas
    Last night I had something very strange happen. I'm still a fairly new Hopper user although I've been a Dish subscriber for over 17 years. I have the OTA module & have been getting my locals flawlessly & with no problems. Last night after watching Bonnie & Clyde up on Lifetime, I switched over to watch a local via OTA, but could not get anything at all on any of my approx. (10) locals. The programming title would show up in the EPG, but just a black screen when I tried selecting any local. I tried shutting my Hopper & Joey off several times, but it made no difference so I finally gave up, shut everything down & went to bed.
    This morning, everything was back fine. BTW, I have a Hopper in my main room & a Joey in my Master Bedroom & it did the same thing on both last night. Any idea what might have happened?

Ken

2. sregener

sregener Godfather

Apr 17, 2012
    This type of problem probably requires a reboot (not just turning off the receiver.) Since Dish receivers reboot nightly, the problem was likely fixed in the middle of the night. Alternatively, you might be able to unplug and reattach your tuner, but that might also necessitate a reboot.

I've seen that issue crop up when a station's signal is temporarily interrupted - if you lose signal on the station the tuner is "watching." Sometimes the receiver can't seem to figure things out and needs a real reset.

3. khearrean

khearrean Godfather

Mar 24, 2004
    S.E. Texas
    So this will be a stupid question, but is a reboot of a Hopper done the same as a reboot of any other receiver? IOW's do you just hold in on the power button on the Hopper for several seconds until the reboot starts?

Ken

4. Jim5506

Jim5506 Hall Of Fame

Jun 7, 2004
    Pull the plug, wait at least 10 seconds, plug back in.

5. sregener

sregener Godfather

Apr 17, 2012
    Yes. Pulling the plug works, too, but is unnecessary.

6. Jim5506

Jim5506 Hall Of Fame

Jun 7, 2004
    Some errors and memory leaks, etc. are not cleared by the button reboot, only pulling the power cord and allowing capacitors to drain will do in some cases.