1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Hopper/Joey Wireless?

Discussion in 'Hopper System Support Forum' started by jborchel, Sep 20, 2013.

1. jborchel

jborchel Legend

Oct 7, 2005
    I'm at my son's house and he is a new Dish customer with a Hopper/Joey combo. The two units are connected with coax. I thought I have read that you could get a wireless connection between the two. I looked at Dish's web site and I couldn't find this facility listed/described. Is this available yet? If so, and he calls Dish will they ask for more money to get this capability? How much?

2. jborchel

jborchel Legend

Oct 7, 2005
    What, no one knows the answer to this?

3. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    No official wireless option from Dish for a Hopper-Joey install that I'm aware of;

DIRECTV has an official one, but not Dish I don't think.

This is not to say you can't improvise something using ethernet to WiFi bridges or some other. But nothing formally sanctioned or supported by Dish network.

4. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Doctor Whom Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Yeah... It might be technically possible to do, but I'm not aware of any officially supported method.

5. jborchel

jborchel Legend

Oct 7, 2005
    Too bad. Would be nice to have when you consider the wiring problems for the coax and getting it to the most desirable location in the Joey room.

6. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Youngsville NC
    You should be able to use either coax (through the Nodes) or ethernet. As others have said - if you have a WIFI bridge to ethernet on the Joey - it may work.

7. FarmerBob

FarmerBob Godfather

Nov 27, 2002
    With the right AP's (access points), any of them, the Joey shouldn't know the difference.