1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Hopper/Native Resolution

Discussion in 'Hopper System Support Forum' started by akw4572, Apr 27, 2012.

1. akw4572

akw4572 Legend

Sep 7, 2005
    I'm thinking of switching to E*, and can't seem to find this anywhere on specs for the Hopper, does it do Native Resolution? If not, I suppose you just set it at one resolution, and it sticks with that? Does that effect PQ at all?

2. sregener

sregener Godfather

Apr 17, 2012
    You set the TV type to 1080i/720p/480i. In theory, if the upscaler on your TV is better than the Hoppers, 720 programming would look better if you switched the TV type for 720 channels to 720. I suspect it would be a very subtle improvement. I don't see a native mode.

3. mdavej

mdavej Hall Of Fame

Jan 30, 2007
    No Dish receivers have a native option like D*. Just set it and forget it and enjoy the speed. It upscales everything to 1080 just fine. When I had D* I found the slowness of channel surfing negated any benefit of having my tv scale instead of the receiver anyway.

If you are concerned about aspect ratio, Dish has every setting you can imagine and can be different for each channel.

There seem to be a lot of native mode diehards out there. But I wonder if they've really done a comparison to see if their other devices ate better at scaling than their sat box. I have done such a comparison and found that my sat box did a much better job than my TV.

In any case, the MPEG4 decoders in the Hopper are noticeably better than those on older receivers, making all content look very good.

4. akw4572

akw4572 Legend

Sep 7, 2005
    I'm not too concerned, I just wondered how it would work, and from your guys' description it seems fine. So you set it to to 1080i and go?

5. sregener

sregener Godfather

Apr 17, 2012
    Mine is set to 1080i, which is not quite native (I have a 1080p set) but as close as I can get. I see no reason to set it down to 720p or whatever.