1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hopper OTA Software to "Add Locals"

Discussion in 'Hopper System Support Forum' started by jeffdb27, Aug 12, 2013.

1. jeffdb27

jeffdb27 AllStar

Jul 13, 2007
    Ever since the OTA module came out for the Hopper, the software option to Add Locals says "This feature coming soon". I guess soon doesn't really mean the same thing to Dish as it does to me. Is there any word when this will be out? If you have to rescan tomorrow add channels, you can't make use of an antenna rotator because the antenna doesn't see all the stations at the time of the scan.

This function was always available on the 722k! Come on DISH.

Thanks.

2. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    be patient .. the "soon" in dish term could lasts FOREVER or if you are lucky, months/years :D

3. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    The Hopper is one step ahead of the 922... The 922 never even got a "Add Locals" button! I remember asking about it and nothing ever seemed to happen... I figured with the Hopper getting a button it was a positive sign, but I think that button may have been there close to as long as the OTA module has been available.

4. jeffdb27

jeffdb27 AllStar

Jul 13, 2007
    Yep, that button has been there since the OTA module was released. The Hopper software has had several updates and after each one I check for this function, but every time it says "...coming soon".

5. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    is it new plot from marketing ppl ? they start push FW developers to create the non-working buttons to keep users on hook :(

before it was strictly verbal promises, if you remember CChats, they avoided such hardcoded evidence of promises

6. khearrean

khearrean Godfather

Mar 24, 2004
    S.E. Texas
    So does this mean if I upgrade to the Hopper from my 211k, which has a built-in OTA module, I won't be able to seamlessly integrate my OTA locals like I can now?

Ken

7. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    you could sans some functions what promised to make "soon"

8. thomasjk

thomasjk Legend

Jan 10, 2006
    No. the Hopper OTA module will integrate your locals.

9. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    That depends on how you mean.

The Hopper doesn't have built-in OTA, but it supports an OTA USB add-on. With that, you get a single OTA tuner. What you can't do is add individual OTA channels... you can only scan for all... The problem here is for people with an antenna and a rotor setup that needs to be repointed for some OTA channels... and that means you have to also rescan the OTA on the Hopper whenever they repoint the antenna. Other than that, it is just as seamless as any other Dish receiver.

10. khearrean

khearrean Godfather

Mar 24, 2004
    S.E. Texas
    Got it. Thanks..

Ken

11. nmetro

nmetro Godfather

Jul 11, 2006
    As of today, this "feature" still indicates "This feature coming soon". Any news if the feature is even coming at all?

12. RBA

RBA Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2013
    TEXAS
    Sure it is coming it's just DISH's definition of SOON.

13. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Youngsville NC
    Have you actually got one (the OTA USB dongle) and tried it out ?

14. Grandude

Grandude RichardParker II

Oct 21, 2004
    Yes, yes, and it still doesn't work.

15. jeffdb27

jeffdb27 AllStar

Jul 13, 2007
    And I, the OP, have had one since they came out a year and a half ago. I'm still waiting for this functionality to be added. As I posted then, it was always available on the 722K.

16. nmetro

nmetro Godfather

Jul 11, 2006
    Yes. I tried it before posting.

17. 3HaloODST

3HaloODST Godfather

Aug 9, 2010
    SOON™

1 person likes this.
  18. scottchez

scottchez Icon

Feb 4, 2003
    I am worried that if they add this feature it will break something else on the OTA software system.
    It is working good now. I can pull stations from an other TV market in at 80 miles.
    Its the best OTA turner I have had. I have tried Directvs and other non Sat models.

19. SeaBeagle

SeaBeagle Legend

May 7, 2006
    Not on my hopper. Just get the soon screen.

Sent from my iPad 4 128GB using DBSTalk mobile app