1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Hopper OTA?

Discussion in 'Hopper System Support Forum' started by bnewt, Mar 21, 2012.

1. bnewt

bnewt Godfather

Oct 2, 2003
    I know that the OTA function is not available at this time, but when it does become available, will a separate ota line have to be run to all hoppers & joey's or to just the hopper?

2. tampa8

tampa8 Godfather/Supporter

Mar 30, 2002
    Just the Hopper, there is no tuners Sat or OTA on the Joeys.

3. bnewt

bnewt Godfather

Oct 2, 2003
    that is great news...........that was something that was holding me back from the change to the hopper/joey system. Still think that I will wait & see a little more feedback on the new system

4. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Leapin' Lizard Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Playing Devil's Advocate... Do we know this to be true?

Right now we know that Joeys don't actually seem to have Internet connections unless you connect them directly... even though they are communicating with a Hopper that is on the Internet (see other threads discussing this).

Since the Joeys do have USB ports that right now are for "unknown" future support... I honestly would not be surprised to find out that you need an OTA USB stick at each Joey.

I have no inner circle knowledge... just saying Dish has been rather mum on future OTA support to date so I honestly wouldn't be surprised by anything at this point.

5. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Or have the HIC on the network if one needs to see the home network from a Joey.

I would be surprised if a Joey could not use a Hopper's OTA tuner - but yes, we should wait for the product release.

6. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Leapin' Lizard Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    True. I forgot to mention that.

I would too... except I keep thinking... what reason if there for a USB port on a Joey IF it uses the internet connection of a Hopper and the EHD of a hopper and the OTA tuner of a Hopper?

The took connections like component off of the Joey to save money I would guess... so why leave a USB port on it that seems in theory to not ever be needed.

7. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    Mediterranea...
    I don't see in XiP100's software anything what will support USB OTA tuner.

8. tampa8

tampa8 Godfather/Supporter

Mar 30, 2002
    I would almost consider having an OTA connection that a Joey could use as a plus, maybe a big plus. If you could watch a network live from a Joey without using any tuner from the Hopper, that adds a possibility to watch something live while all tuners are recording. Best scenario - it can be either way, Joey sees the Hopper OTA, OR - can have it's own OTA.

9. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    It doesn't. The Joey can use the internet of a HIC but at this point to see the home network you can't do that through a Hopper. You need an Ethernet connection - or perhaps a USB Wi-Fi stick?

10. Blowgun

Blowgun DHMO User

May 23, 2008
    USB RF adapter to Wireless keyboard. The Joey will become the WebTV of the future. :)

11. bnborg

bnborg Icon

Jun 3, 2005
    Getting back to the threads title, is there any news on how "soon" this will be enabled?

Has anyone tried a USB ATSC tuner in their hopper? I know it probably will just say "unsupported USB device". But who knows?

12. clotter

clotter AllStar

Apr 12, 2008
    I have a DirecTV AM21 USB tuner that's nothing but a door stop now that I'm with Dish. Wouldn't it be a hoot if it worked with the Hopper. Unfortunately, no Hopper here to try it out on...