1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Hopper over wifi

Discussion in 'Hopper System Support Forum' started by Calvin386, Aug 12, 2013.

1. Calvin386

Calvin386 Godfather

May 23, 2007
    I would like to get rid of my DSL and land line.

Do you guys think I could run my hopper with cellular service using the wifi dongle? I have AT&T LTE service.

I occasionally use my sling box. Could it handle it?

Thanks...

2. moman19

moman19 Icon

Oct 22, 2004
    I really don't know if this will work, but would be interested in hearing your results. I suppose you would be using your phone as a "Hot Spot", which would look just like another WIFI access point to the Hopper. But keep in mind if it does work and you plan to stream programs via Sling, you will run the risk of large data usage, which might end up costing you a bundle. LTE is a limited resource with measured service and usage caps to discourage this practice. You probably have a 2 or 3 GB allowance. At some point, the price goes up, the data gets throttled down or probably both.

3. dmspen

dmspen Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Dec 1, 2006
    Los Gatos,...
    When in a strong LTE area, I can watch DISH anywhere on my iPhone. LTE can handle the speeds. The throttling and other aspects of high data usage will be interesting to hear about. Even if you have an unlimited plan, your data speeds will get throttled around the 2GB mark from AT&T.

4. thomasjk

thomasjk Legend

Jan 10, 2006
    No. The dongle is WIFI only and does not work with LTE.

5. Calvin386

Calvin386 Godfather

May 23, 2007
    Yes I plan on using a phone as a hotspot. I may even get the MiFi hot spot from AT&T.

I have the 10 gig data plan and I can go as high as 20 gigs on my plan. I only use my slingbox occasionally(vacations etc...).

I am curious as to how well the wifi dongle from Dish works and if anyone else has tried this.

@thomasjk...I don't plan on connecting the Hoppper directly to LTE. The Hopper WIFI dongle would go through either my phone as a hotspot or a dedicated hotspot from AT&T.

Thanks...

6. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    Mediterranea...
    I think you'll be the first person who could tell us how good or bad it will works.

7. Calvin386

Calvin386 Godfather

May 23, 2007
    I guess I'll be a pioneer in hopper over cellular.

8. foghorn2

foghorn2 AllStar

Jun 17, 2006
    Until Charlie offers it to ya.

9. Calvin386

Calvin386 Godfather

May 23, 2007
    I haven't had time to work on this yet but I was wondering. If I had no internet hooked to my hopper, would there be any problems besides no slingbox?

10. n0qcu

n0qcu Legend/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 23, 2002
    Other than any of the apps that use the internet and no streaming on demand, no there wont be any problem.